Author Topic: How to teach kids about muzzle loaders?  (Read 3126 times)

Andy A

How to teach kids about muzzle loaders?
« on: October 29, 2009, 06:15:26 PM »
I teach 11th grade US History in west Texas, and would like to incorporate the historymuzzle loading rifles into what we study. Where can I get good information about this? I have little information about this, especially during the colonial period. Is there any quick information out there???

Andy

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: How to teach kids about muzzle loaders?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 06:30:55 PM »
I teach as well and anytime we get to a conflict I discuss the technological changes.  Just tell them what you know.  Also, Collectors Encyclopedia of the American Revolution is a good source, among others. 

Coryjoe

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »
Not an easy source but available: Brown's book on guns in colonial America [should be in your library]. Other sources are more specific and narrow in scope.  For the American longrifle ["Kentucky rifle"] see Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America, v. 1&2 [pricey, see library]. And there are many others: Grinslade's book on fowlers, Hamilton's book on early colonial guns, etc.  Brown's is the only source I know of for all-around history of MLers in America, English, French, Spanish and American arms.

brokenflint

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:38:07 AM »
Andy  I agree with Coryjoe, just use something like the battle of kings mtn and how both sides where armed and then explain the differences between muskets and rifles.  How the over mountain men used rifles mainly for hunting which required a more accurate weapon that conserved both ball and powder, had a greater range due to it being rifled (though some are "smooth rifles"), each man owned his own and finally how it was the weapon of choice in a "Bring your own rifle" battle vs how the musket was a volley fire weapon followed by a bayonet charge, not requiring accuracy over great distances as the men needed to be able to close the distance rapidly in the bayonet charge.   My 2C FWIW, use with caution.

Broke

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 03:08:49 AM »
Andy  I agree with Coryjoe, just use something like the battle of kings mtn and how both sides where armed and then explain the differences between muskets and rifles.  How the over mountain men used rifles mainly for hunting which required a more accurate weapon that conserved both ball and powder, had a greater range due to it being rifled (though some are "smooth rifles"), each man owned his own and finally how it was the weapon of choice in a "Bring your own rifle" battle vs how the musket was a volley fire weapon followed by a bayonet charge, not requiring accuracy over great distances as the men needed to be able to close the distance rapidly in the bayonet charge.   My 2C FWIW, use with caution.

Broke
What broken flint said plus a good study of the role the militias played during the Revelation. Most school kids are taught (at least they used to teach it, not so sure now!) about the militia men on the Green at Concord but few are aware how important the southern militia was in causing Cornwallis to end up at Yorktown.

There is a book about Britian's Southern Campaign that is well worth your time to read. It starts with Cornwallis's capture of Charleston SC (I think its printed by the Univ of SC Press) and ends with his surrender at Yorktown. In it you will see how important the militia was in Cornwallis's defeat.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

54ball

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 10:38:51 PM »
 The victor may not always know what the fatal blow was but the vanquished does.  General Clinton commander of all British forces in America stated that he knew the war was lost after he received news of Ferguson's defeat at Kings Mountain.
 Billy Ray Cyrus did an excellent series for the History Channel on the people of Appalachia.  The segment about Kings Mountain goes into great detail about the battle and their arms.