Author Topic: Twigg English Sporting Rifle  (Read 14124 times)

Offline Cody Tetachuk

Re: Twigg English Sporting Rifle
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »
Reminds me of Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans somehow.
;D I know your hooked, you can admit it.  ;D

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »

Oh, sorry. I have castings from Dysons for Left and Right hand locks. The same ones Cody has. I will eventually use them to make a double. Or maybe use the right one to build a gun based on that Smith gun and sell the left lock. Who knows

It didn't hit me right away that the original post was misleading, sorry. lol

Cody, how was the porosity in your castings? Mine are, to me, a bit porous. Being the first castings I've bought, I don't know if that's typical or not.

Yes they were somewhat porous. You can see that the inside still shows signs of this and will require more polishing (assuming that it CAN be polished out). The other anomaly is that one lock plate (don't recall which one) is considerably thicker than the other but, in all honesty, don't know if they came that way or if I just took that much more off one in an attempt to mitigate the porosity issue.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 10:52:47 PM »
This lock has only one lock bolt. the front is held by a 3/8" long 8/32 piece of bolt that is screwed into the plate and then bent forward and filed so that it hooks under a flat screw head of a screw turmed into the stock. works supperbly well.. looks like two bolts on this side but only one on the left side.......... it works. The gun is gone or I would have taken a picture of the inside for you. A little Jerry Huddleston trick!!  ;D

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 11:41:27 PM »
Thanks Dr. Tim. There's more than one way to skin this cat!

westbj2

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »
Here is another variation of a hook used with a single mounting bolt.  The lock shown is a back action lock but the method is commonly seen on front action applications as well.  An advantage of this method is that with a bit of careful filing, a slight angle is made on the inside of the hook which causes the lock to 'suck' tightly into the mortise to the proper depth.

[/URL]

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 02:27:12 PM »
I was noodling that exact idea. By filing a corresponding angle on the tab/hook, as you swing the lock into position, it will draw it tight. Once things are "right and tight" I think I will case harden the  tab and screw to reduce wear.

Thanks for the picture.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of a Vickers lock with the front lug.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/DaveB44/DSCN4222.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/DaveB44/DSCN4221.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/DaveB44/DSCN4218.jpg
Note the foward portion of the lock plate has a sweep section to allow for the plate to slide into place with out binding. it is very subtle
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Bubblehead

• Starting Member
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2022, 05:27:41 PM »
Any chance of image recovery here?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2022, 06:03:53 PM »
If you want a REAL sparker talk to Bob Roller he'll make you up a "Twigg lock" that will knock yer eye out & give showers a sparks.

I have made no flintlocks since 2019 and have no desire to revive them.There ARE some Twigg locks I made on the Davis Twigg external parts and they may not all be on guns.I bought parts for 10 and then 4 sets were from customers.The last one went to South Africa, When the weather gets warm again I might make some set triggers but no locks and will sell them from this forum only.No orders taken and NO deposits for any reason.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 06:07:35 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2022, 09:06:46 AM »
I was thinking about doing a forward hook and retention screw on the Chamber's Late Ketland lock as well.  I found that there is not much room forward of the mainspring, and I'd probably have to make a new spring to get some extra room.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2022, 08:35:04 AM »
Cannot see any of the photos....are they lost?
Thanks Richard