Author Topic: My mahogani Issac Haines copy  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Goo

My mahogani Issac Haines copy
« on: December 23, 2022, 10:34:05 PM »
Well here it is My attempt at the Issac Haines attributed smooth rifle.  My copy Is stocked in Cuban Mahogani and I did the best i could to copy the details as closely as possible to the original gun.  To start with I drew out the gun full size onto graph paper. I had to guess on alot of stuff and the patch box placement is slightly off.  I used dividers against the photos i had to gauge dimensions and plot the placement of parts and mostly guess at actual sizes.   For the carving I laid it out by eye to fit it onto the space provided by the build. I reworked an L&R lock to make it look more like the picture as well as altering the side plate and trigger guard which turned out a bit too long on the back side (but pobodys nerfect right?) This gun is actual solid real Mahogani sweetenia for you wood experts it was nice to cut and carve and the I used was iron dissolved in vinegar.   i Hope the pictures are ok I have a hard time with cameras

« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 08:02:59 PM by Goo »
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: My mahogani Issac Haines copy
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 12:17:31 AM »
I think you did a remarkable job on a difficult build. Thanks for sharing this build with us.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Goo

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 03:02:50 AM »
I think you did a remarkable job on a difficult build. Thanks for sharing this build with us.
That means alot coming from you Jim

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 03:12:13 AM »
Very nice job, indeed!
Thanks for posting the pictures.
John
John Robbins

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 02:53:27 PM »
I have read some about this original Haines gun. I have never seen it or pictures of it. It looks like you did a fine job. I have a question regarding the finish. Were you trying to get the color that the original has today? Cuban Mohogany is a beautiful wood left natural will darken substantially over time.
Where are photos of the original available?
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 03:20:22 PM »
It sure looks nice from where I sit. Just curious- how do you know that it is actually swetienia? Is it distinctly different from macrophyla?
I ask because I just re-sawed a piece of 200 yr old mahogany that I hoped was Cuban. It looks just like Honduran to me. It was so dark on the outside but the inside is red just like newer Honduran that I have bought and used.
It is nothing like philipean (sp?) or African, which I know are not true mahoganies.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Goo

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 04:04:08 PM »
It sure looks nice from where I sit. Just curious- how do you know that it is actually swetienia? Is it distinctly different from macrophyla?

.      I know it's Sweetienia because the tree grew right here in south Fl and was cut by permit.  I got it from a friend who was operating and saw mill and solar kiln drying operation. Thank you for asking I didn't actually plan to make it that dark. The wood is pink when it's freshly worked. I didn't think it would look good that color and it turned out to be nearly impossible to rub it back to a lighter even color. After much frustration and the chance of messing up the carving I left Dark.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 05:05:23 PM by Goo »