Author Topic: thin wood glue  (Read 1257 times)

Offline dan parrett

• Starting Member
thin wood glue
« on: December 28, 2022, 05:20:28 AM »
Hi Everyone,
It's been a long time since I've been on the forum. In fact it's been so long I didn't remember my old user name so I had to start from scratch. It's good to be back.

I have a crack in the wrist of a full stock Hawken I'd like to repair. I've searched the forum and have found some good ideas. I plan on injecting a thin glue into the crack while I gently pry it apart. Which glue do you recommend? It's got to be thin. I'm leaning to titebond thinned a bit with water but was wondering if anything else would be better.

Thank you,
Dan

Offline Nailcreek

Re: thin wood glue
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 06:18:05 AM »
There are some threads about using heated acra-glass, so you might want to search a bit?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 10:52:29 AM »
I would personally use heated acra-glass or ultra-thin CA.  I repaired the ramrod for my .69 with that glue/cement about 15 years ago. Just last year, I was given the opportunity to
change the rod into an Osage rod and I took that opportunity. That old hickory rod, likely loaded 2 or 3,000 rounds, is my spare now.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 01:56:55 PM »
I used this very thin Cyanoacrylate product from Brownell's many years ago to repair a hairline crack that had appeared in the wrist of my .458 WinMag. Worked great, problem solved. Still have the rifle and shoot it occasionally.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/glue-adhesives/hot-stuff-instant-glue-prod13081.aspx
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Online Top Jaw

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 03:40:50 PM »
There are some luthier repair channels I watch, where guys are repairing cracks on guitar necks.  Which can be a similar repair to a gunstock wrist.  They wet down the inside the crack with water first to make a hydrostatic flow for the glue to go deeper.  Some used canned air (like you clean your computer keyboard with) to blow wood glue deeper into the crack.  Biggest challenge can sometimes be adequately clamping it, while at the same time getting to and wiping off all the glue squeeze out.  Titebond makes a dark wood glue that works well with dark stained wood.  I used it on a walnut stock toe crack not completely broken through, and the repair is almost undetectable.  So you may not need thinner glue, necessarily.  Just a few techniques for getting it deeper into the repair area.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 03:48:52 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 05:02:17 PM »
Acraglas can be thinned with lacquer thinner.  It can then be put in a syringe and injected into the crack.  I always ask the Vet for the syringes when my pets get their shots.  I've never heard of heating it and have always used this method.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 05:04:58 PM »
There are some luthier repair channels I watch, where guys are repairing cracks on guitar necks.  Which can be a similar repair to a gunstock wrist.  They wet down the inside the crack with water first to make a hydrostatic flow for the glue to go deeper.  Some used canned air (like you clean your computer keyboard with) to blow wood glue deeper into the crack.  Biggest challenge can sometimes be adequately clamping it, while at the same time getting to and wiping off all the glue squeeze out.  Titebond makes a dark wood glue that works well with dark stained wood.  I used it on a walnut stock toe crack not completely broken through, and the repair is almost undetectable.  So you may not need thinner glue, necessarily.  Just a few techniques for getting it deeper into the repair area.
I use titebond, and a suction cup from one of those window decorations to pump the glue deep into the crack

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 07:33:05 PM »
You can thin AcraGlas after you have blended the resin and hardener, by placing the vessel under an incandescent light bulb.  Don't leave it too long, or it will "kick" and become unmanageable.  If the crack in the wrist is malleable, the glue can be worked down into the wood to the very bottom of the crack by manipulating the stock back and forth gently - opening and closing the crack - and the glue will hydraulic down the crack.  Clamp it shut when you're happy and let it cure 24 hours.  I have saved many gunstocks in this manner.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 07:43:16 PM »
 If you start with a thin CA glue followed immediately with a thicker CA the thin stuff will wick the thicker down into the crack. Clamp it tight, rubber hose works well on a wrist but strips of rags ties together or rope will also work, I'd let it sit at least 24 hours.

Tim C.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 08:14:27 PM »
As far as strength and longevity goes, the Ultra-thin CA has worked on my ramrod for a long time and that rod's "job" has not been an easy one.
I used some .690" round balls and .023" patches for a trail walk some years back, at Hefley. No steel rod, just the repaired hickory rod. The split
that was 'fixed' was about 7 or 8" long. Decent grain, but not perfect.
Daryl

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 12:05:41 AM »
I recently used Loctite 401 to repair a broken Pernambuco Violin Bow Head - Pernambuco is an oily wood and Loctite 401 was recommended by Archetiers and Luthiers for such repairs.  Using a small straw, like those supplied with Fruit Juice Packets, could be helpful in blowing the CA Adhesive further into the crack.

The repair holding fine, so far.

Depending on the break, drilling and gluing in a dowel could be helpful - ideally drilling from under the rear of the TG or Trigger Plate, so the repair would be  hidden.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 12:10:07 AM »
The Ultra-Thin CA will wick in on it's own. This glue is available at most model stores where they also sell wooden aeroplane models.
They should have Ultra-Thin, Thin, Medium and Thick CA's in 1 and 2 ounce bottles.
Daryl

Offline dan parrett

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 03:53:23 AM »
Thanks for the help and ideas everyone, I appreciate it.

Dan