Author Topic: Anyone who can help finish inletting?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Mascibbe

• Starting Member
Anyone who can help finish inletting?
« on: December 18, 2022, 08:43:23 PM »
Hello All,
I’ve built several kits to varying degrees of success. I moved on to a pre carved stock blank. I am comfortable admitting that I bit off more than I could chew. Ive now restarted with my third stock and am not happy with what I see.

Before I mess up again I would like to see if there’s anyone who could take what I have and finish it to the point where I could do some carving and finish.

Thanks.

Offline Bill Raby

Re: Anyone who can help finish inletting?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 09:11:01 PM »
   You won't get anywhere by having someone do things for you. Watch some gun building videos. Then inlet the part into a maple board from Home Depot. You can practice at that as long as it takes to get it right. Then inlet into the stock when you are confident that you can do it. Better to learn with a $25 dollar board than a stock blank that cost a few hundred dollars. Might take a while before you can do it, but in the end you will know what you are doing. Practice the carving on the other side of the board.

Offline Not English

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 09:45:53 PM »
Bill's right about what he said. I don't like precarved blanks because they are too limiting as far as inlet placement. To ask the really obvious question, are you using a transfer color when inletting something?  I prefer nondrying Prussian blue, but have seen a lot of soot type devices used. I"ve even seen lipstick used. The other thing I do is use a sharpened Xacto knife to scribe around the outside edges of what ever I'm inletting. All you need to do then is hook the edge of your chisel in the scribed line to locate it. Don't forget tile file a reverse bevel/draught on the edge before starting.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 09:48:14 PM »
Sharp tools first.

Bevel the edge of the part. Scribe around the part with a sharp knife. I use a large exacto. My way is to scribe/cut around the part pretty deep. Backcut on inside and chisel to depth. Others use various chisels to stab inside the scribe line around the perimeter but i have more perfect inlets with the deep cut method.

Take your time, take it slow. You can do it.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 09:49:47 PM »
Maybe you could post a picture of your progress to help anyone here determine if they want to take on the job.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Built 1st gun in dorm room at college
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 10:49:46 PM »
Cant make any great claims about my inletting buts it’s WAY better than it used to be..  the suggestions made previously are spot on.    I’d also suggest looking at your layout to make sure everything is EXACTLY where it has to go.    Make sure your parts are beveled and secured  before you scribe around them.  If using a pencil, put a VERY fine point on it.   ( I run it over FINE sandpaper/emery to sharpen.)    Use small carving chisels and keep them razor sharp…….I find the large carving chisels are hard to manage for fine cuts and in many cases just too large for the job at hand.  A set of small chisels is a good investment……I suspect that most shapes used can be made at home with tools at hand. I’ve made a few at times when I needed something odd.
Mike Mullins

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 11:25:36 PM »
Seems I saw a recent post where some fellow had been advised to file a draft/bevel on the parts to be let in.

He cut about a 45* bevel.  That's about 40* too much. So now when I see folks give this sage advice I worry that the recipient might not "gather" exactly how much. The exact amound is never critical, but it doesn't take much-and too much can create problems.

If you're giving up and simply don't care to do it, you should probably post in the trading section. Here in the building section we're just going to keep nudging and advising how we think it might be best for you to proceed.

PICS of this one or of previous work might help let us know at a glance what your current skill level is, as well as exactly what someone might be dealing with if they took on your work. Or they might help us best advise you just how to proceed.

Pre-carves are hard (according to everyone I know who builds rifles) and can be more so when the inlets are started.  I'm all for letting someone else put in swamped barrels and drilling rr holes, but I did a couple before I'd let myself farm that out. Best of luck and progress.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 01:01:07 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline LynnC

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 01:24:15 AM »
Do you have any gun making books?

Mike Brooks has a very good tutorial with text and photos on this site.

Edit....It may have been on Mike’s website but i thought there was a link here.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 03:31:01 AM by LynnC »

Offline Joe R

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 03:47:15 AM »
The Mike Brooks gun building tutorial is still in the
the Gun making tools and techniques-Woodworking section of the Tutorials at:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=31173.0

Offline LynnC

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 04:46:30 AM »
Thanks Joe  ;)

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2022, 04:58:20 AM »
Mascibbe, where are you located?
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Mascibbe

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2022, 02:06:23 PM »
All good advice. Maybe the frustration is getting to me. My first couple attempts were made with stocks mostly pre-inlet for the lock. As stated, this did not turn out well as the placement wasn’t good. I’ve been working on this on and off for 20 years. Read many books and watched hours and hours of video.

I’m already about 80% done. Lock, trigger, trigger guard and barrel are all done (if not pretty).

Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll try to post pics to see if y’all can point out improvements.

BTW. Im in Ohio. Log Cabin is only 30 minutes away. That’s good and bad😉

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 04:42:59 PM »
Check out the Mike Brooks tutorial on this site

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 05:28:08 PM »
If you do it yourself, don’t expect a great result on your first try. The suggestion to practice is a great one. No harm in inletting a lock or even the breech 6” of a barrel and tang in a piece of firewood. I know the temptation is there to dig right in but everybody improves their skills with practice.

The challenge of getting someone else to do it is that most builders like to be involved in their builds from the beginning - a project they conceived or at least had a hand in the decision process. A lot of hobby guys and most professional builders have a backlog. I’ve got about 6 guns on my to-do list and have all the parts. So doing an assembly job for someone else’s project then handing it over in the white is not what they dream of, so to speak.
Of course there are exceptions. There are a great many skilled amateurs here building fine guns and selling them under actual value, in my view. Some may pick up a job like this to get money for their next build. Good luck with your project!
Andover, Vermont

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2022, 06:11:35 PM »
  You can do it. Just don't over think it. Come up with a simple pleasing design and go for it.
The biggest challenge for me was getting my tools razor sharp. My first couple carvings look like they were carved by a beaver with broken teeth...

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 06:28:40 AM »
Mascibbe, keep chugging along. I like Bill's advice of practicing the inlet on a different piece of wood.

I'm trying to finish my first rifle. Started in January and spent many many hours on it. I'm working on the patchbox now and feel stuck. I'm terrified to start inletting it because it's a pretty nice looking rifle so far.  I may shape a piece of my scrap to match the stock and do a practice run first!  I'll get it in myself eventually, one way or another. I think you will too.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2022, 06:34:28 AM »
Where do you live?    Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2022, 02:56:56 PM »
Check with Log Cabin every once in awhile they have a group of builders come in , and work on their guns find out when they plan to get together. I am sure you will find plenty of qualified help. Plus make some friends that can help mentor you.
Dave.

Offline Mascibbe

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2022, 07:15:23 PM »
Check with Log Cabin every once in awhile they have a group of builders come in , and work on their guns find out when they plan to get together. I am sure you will find plenty of qualified help. Plus make some friends that can help mentor you.
Dave.

That’s a good idea. I got a message from a gentleman that will meet me there to take a look at what I’m doing. Maybe all it takes is a new set of eyes. If there’s a group that meets regularly maybe I could join in occasionally.

Offline Kary

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2022, 10:12:56 PM »
I learn the best by having someone who is in the same room as I am, show me first, let me try and watch me try and correct any mistakes I may be doing as I go along. A mentor is definitely helpful in my case!

Offline Not English

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2022, 05:39:12 AM »
I taught a Kentucky Rifle Building for the local tech college for over 10 years. There is something to be said for building in a group. You may not get as much work done as you think, but you will LEARN a lot as well as make some very good friends that are always willing to help.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2022, 03:11:29 PM »
Dave.

That’s a good idea. I got a message from a gentleman that will meet me there to take a look at what I’m doing. Maybe all it takes is a new set of eyes. If there’s a group that meets regularly maybe I could join in occasionally.

There will be a class starting at the Log Cabin on January 14, swing on by, bring what you have