Author Topic: How did the original masters hold their engraving work?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Lone Wolf

How did the original masters hold their engraving work?
« on: January 04, 2023, 06:33:27 AM »
These days we have things like precisely machined ball vises and use substances like bondo and thermo plastic to mould our engraving work, but how did the original masters do it?  Did they simply engrave their metal on the rifles, or did they have basic methods to do their engraving before installation?

Offline Jakob

Re: How did the original masters hold their engraving work?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 08:18:42 AM »
They used pitch. (Well, jewellers have used pitch in ages, I'd assume gunmakers would do the same)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 05:34:47 PM »
For Patch boxes and some inlays if not done on the rifle, just screw it down on to a piece of scrap wood to put in your bench vise.  When possible keep it simple and cheap.

Offline Lone Wolf

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 07:00:16 AM »
Is pitch re-usable, or is it once and done like bondo?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 07:23:23 AM »
Reusable.  I use a heat gun to heat the pitch in my pitch pot, place the part in the melt and let it harden again.

Offline Joe R

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 09:03:18 PM »
It looks like Rio Grande’s pitch comes in at least two colors. Are they the same product or is there a useful difference in one versus the other?

Offline kutter

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 04:58:19 AM »
For small , thin pieces (like wedge plates, etc) you can use Sealing Wax.
(Envelope Seal and Document Seal wax impression)

A Jewelery Engravers 'trick' of sorts to hold similar small fragile items while engraving.

The wax comes in sticks with a wick in it usually like a candle. Light the wick and let some of the wax drip into a pool onto a suitible surface like a piece of wood that you can work on.

The wax if still warm enough, you can push the wedge plate or what ever part into it and as it cools it will adhere nicely for you.
If cooled,,heat the part and push it into the cooled off wax.
Do your engraving.
When done heat the part back up gently and it will drop off of the wax.
I used to hold the part up close to a pre-Al Gore filiment light bulb. The heat more than enough to make the part loosen and drop free.

Same idea as the Pitch Bowl. Less holding power though so for smaller items. The sealing wax sticks are cheap at art supply type stores.
The puddle of wax left on the piece of wood is reuseable over and over, or add to it, etc.

I engrave some of the parts while inletted in the wood. That's a real pain as I have to stand and engrave. Not a favorite of mine.
Moving around a LR from end to end is no fun.
I rather like to just attach patch boxes, butt plates and the like to a piece of wood simply roughed out to form and the part screwed down in place.