Author Topic: clean up rusted barrel?  (Read 3565 times)

Offline LynnC

Re: clean up rusted barrel?
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2022, 08:32:16 PM »
Just a thought.....Clean it up, price it right and sell it to someone who will cut it off and use the shorter barrel. If it were 15/16 I’d have the budget project for it. Too bad its 7/8......Good luck 😉
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2022, 07:28:19 PM »
So much great advice, I can't begin to thank everyone individually, so I shall say...
Gentlemen, thank you all.  In no particular order..
The cost of the barrel and stock that I really want is around $500-$600.  Free is quite a discount!  However Rich is right.  This isn't my dream rifle. 
But, it is my first built-from-parts rifle.  Maybe build this if the barrel can be saved, learning as I go, then build a .62 'early' rifle....
Pistol barrels....Great idea!
I know very little about wood work, so I could try some carving on this rifle (if the barrel can be salvaged) before my next build...
I haven't had time to get to the hardware store, but Sunday I will go get pic, end caps, and evaporust....
Again, thank you all.

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2022, 02:11:53 AM »
Started on the barrel today.  Soaking in Evaporust.  I even took pictures....now, if only I could figure out how to upload them....
Seriously, it's not very exciting.  I tried to get some good pics of the bore, but I am not sure how successful I was.  I did kinda think what a shame it was to lose the patina on the exterior of the barrel, lol.  I will figure it out and post the pics as soon as I can.

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2022, 04:27:59 AM »

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2022, 04:38:20 AM »
WOW!  Posting pictures here is a stone DRAG!  Whatever.  I am not confident yet in putting text with pictures......
First of all, that's not me, lol.  The heathen with the short hair and tattoos is my son.  He came to visit for the holidays.
Part of the barrel was growing a patina, but as you can (hopefully) see, the muzzle is really crusty.  The breech end looked pretty good.  I poured Evaporust in the pvc pipe and put it in a bucket.  The German Shepherd is probably not truly necessary, but is strongly recommended.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 02:09:05 PM by Ravenshurst »

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2022, 02:15:36 PM »

Evaporust is like magic!  The barrel cleaned up beautifully.  The bore looks brand new.  I doubt this has ever been fired.  It does look like someone started a dovetail for the front sight....I may wind up putting flat in the bottom of the stock. Worst case scenario, lose 1 inch off the muzzle, re-crown, and cone.  (I was going to cone the muzzle anyway.)
Interestingly enough, Evaporust left a rather pleasing grey finish on the outside of the barrel.  I suppose it is only to be expected, after all I have read about antique/French grey finish/Naval Jelly/Clorox, etc., that there should be grey under the rust, but it is a pleasant surprise.  I had finally decided on a grey finish for this barrel, and Evaporust gave me a great start!  It is splotchy looking of course, the most rusted areas are the darkest, the least rusted the lightest, but I am hoping that enough blue and 0000 will even it out. 
Pics to follow.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 10:35:35 PM by Ravenshurst »

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2022, 10:36:53 PM »
I have rinsed in hot water.  What do I need to do to the bore to stop rust for right now?  Oil?  WD40?  Thanks.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2022, 10:47:42 PM »
Dry with flannelette (the best) patches, snug on a jag, then some sort of gun oil - or - Hoppe's #9 smokeless powder solvent is one of the best rust preventatives made.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2022, 11:42:51 PM »
I'm glad it worked out.  Evaporust is amazing stuff. 

These days for light rust on part I do not want to refinish I boil them in distilled water then card.  Everything else is Evaporust.  I wench when I hear about Naval Jelly on guns.  It is sure fire disaster.  I was asked about a rusty early cartridge rifle yesterday.  The owner is dead set on slathering it with Naval jelly.  He refuses to listen.  And another one bites the dust. 

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2023, 11:20:57 PM »

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2023, 11:33:13 PM »
I tried to get some pics of the bore, but I seem to have misplaced my bore light.  I tried to use a flashlight, but the bore is literally too shiny.  Other than the first 1/4 inch or so, the bore looks literally brand new.  there is a small spot on the outside, right at the muzzle, that is pitted, and the face of the bore is pitted.  So, bob and re-crown. Or cone?  hmmm.....

Offline bnewberry

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2023, 02:51:55 PM »
I too have been impressed by Evaporust. I have used it a lot on old bike frames and old knives. It is expensive but worth it.