Author Topic: Stock wood selection  (Read 811 times)

Offline Camerl2009

• Starting Member
Stock wood selection
« on: January 08, 2023, 11:54:52 PM »
What should I look for when selecting a stock blank(wood slab) other than wood species.

There’s a few people milling and a mill set up in my area now with lots of maple and walnut and some cherry.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Stock wood selection
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 12:21:21 AM »
Look at the end grain. If the annual rings run like a deck of cards stacked up top to bottom it is quarter sawn, which is good for figure. If the annual rings are like stripes straight up and down its plane sawn and will be quite strong but not showy. If the rings are diagonal it may be subject to warping.

Moisture content.

Thickness.

Width of plank at least 8”.

Weight and hardness, if it is seasoned or dried.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 12:48:01 AM »
It might be OK to bring along a stock profile to lay on the blank to make sure the grain runs through the wrist properly

Offline Camerl2009

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 03:29:47 AM »
Look at the end grain. If the annual rings run like a deck of cards stacked up top to bottom it is quarter sawn, which is good for figure. If the annual rings are like stripes straight up and down its plane sawn and will be quite strong but not showy. If the rings are diagonal it may be subject to warping.

Moisture content.

Thickness.

Width of plank at least 8”.

Weight and hardness, if it is seasoned or dried.

Ok I think I may have for a slab of red maple it’s 2.5 thick and live edge been sitting for 5 years should be well seasoned. It should have enough for 2 stock in it depending on grain.