Author Topic: My attempt at a Lehigh Rifle...  (Read 1216 times)

Offline silky

My attempt at a Lehigh Rifle...
« on: January 10, 2023, 01:20:11 AM »
Good afternoon,

I have worked on this off and on for the past year and finally finished it up last week.  My goal was to create a working man's rifle that wouldn't be out of place in the woods of north-central Pennsylvania in the late 18th century.  A picture of one of the late Nate McKenzie's Lehighs on his website finally inspired me to try and make one for myself.  I didn't know him, but I hope he would be pleased to know his work still captures people's imaginations.  I hope it's okay that I have included that picture here.

It's a plain piece of Sugar Maple from Dunlap stained with aqua fortis and oiled with Sutherland Welles polymerized tung oil.  I had a Siler lock on hand and, really just to change things up, reshaped the tail.  The barrel is a 44" B-weight Colerain .54 smooth, and I made the sheet brass trigger guard and front sight.  The steel parts were browned-boiled-blued to the color shown, which I really dig. It weighs in at 5lbs 11oz and balances nicely. 

A big thanks to all the guys who post their finished work here and elsewhere, as I tried to synthesize the lines into something I like.  And the Lehigh tutorial on Eric von Aschwege's website was a treasure chest for an amateur trying to build a historically accurate rifle; I'll let you guys be the judges of that attempt.

My thanks to all of you who offer up your time and expertise to guys like me.  I have been on these boards for over a decade now but don't post often, mostly because searching old posts answers 99% of the questions I have.  This is the first rifle I've built from a blank that isn't proudly displayed in a very dark corner of a deep closet, and that's thanks to you all!

- Tom

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 01:50:59 AM by silky »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: My attempt at Lehigh Rifle...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 01:43:06 AM »
 I think Nate would be Happy with your work.

Tim C.

Offline Daryl

Re: My attempt at a Lehigh Rifle...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 02:38:13 AM »
Rifle looks great.  Ahh, smooth 28 bore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 03:31:55 AM »
Very nice, clean work.  I think you captured many of the subtleties of a lehigh. I like it!

Offline silky

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 10:28:07 PM »
Thanks, guys. I enjoyed building it.

- Tom

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 03:49:32 AM »
I like the lines and there is a Schimmel in .40 caliber in my future. Always nice to see other’s work. Good job.

Offline jmf

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 04:13:09 AM »
Very nicely built. Great lines and the simplicity of the plain wood makes its own statement.

Offline Kybuckhntr

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 06:54:32 AM »
Great work, did you cut the stock from a blank? She’s beautiful

Offline silky

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 06:59:19 PM »
Great work, did you cut the stock from a blank? She’s beautiful

Thanks.  Yes, I built it from a slab of Sugar Maple.