Author Topic: Who finishes kits?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Brian Stewart

• Starting Member
Who finishes kits?
« on: January 09, 2023, 09:24:26 PM »
After talking to several rifle makers it looks like I'm a year to a two year wait to get a rifle. I'm wanting to elk hunt with a flintlock next year. Either I get a kit and finish myself which I'm afraid to mess it up or try to find a one that I like. Or have someone finish one for me that isnt backed up and send them the kit. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm wanting to do an Isaac Haines with a metal patch box and some light carving and engraving but nothing super elaborate. I was wondering if there are any builders that aren't booked out that far that I could still get it in time to have it ready for elk season?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Who finishes kits?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 09:35:23 PM »
Another option is to buy a used gun and then turn it around after you get your custom gun built.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 01:55:11 AM »
Hello Brian, it would be a good start to tell us generally where you are, and a guess as to your budget (you won't really know until you pick a builder. There are a few hacks, and many here who do top dollar custom work and plenty of darned good too. There are people on here from Alaska, Canada down to southern Florida and some in Europe. Otherwise you might pay a lot for shipping, and risk damage to what you do ship.

Don't be afraid to ask, we all started somewhere. Just my 1/2 cents worth.
Good luck!
Carl [sometimes MS, sometimes AL]
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Brian Stewart

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 03:29:58 AM »
Carl
I live in the southwestern part of Virginia.  I was thinking for a total budget of around $3500 I'm not wanting anything super fancy.  I'm wanting a hunting rifle mainly for elk.  My problem is most well known builders are so far out on builds that next September would be gone before the even started my build.  I've elk hunted for 20+ years and have taken several with a muzzleloader but never used a flintlock.   Plus my Hawken isn't near as balanced as several of the Isaac Haines models I've seen. 

Offline RAT

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 03:48:18 AM »
Contact Dan Phariss, who is a member here. He has a Kibler colonial that he's just getting ready to start. He sent us a message that he's bringing the kit to our gunmakers guild meeting next Saturday. I believe he plans on a brass patchbox. I don't know if he's planning on selling this when finished, but he's done that with Kibler kits in the past.
Bob

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 05:11:38 AM »
I assume you are thinking brass hardware ( Isaac Haines ). What caliber?

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 05:15:48 AM »
Hey Brian, when is your hunt? I may be able to squeeze you in. Also, if I were you, I would consider a Kibler kit. You could put it together yourself and have the pride of shooting and elk with a rifle you assembled!

Best of luck with your decision and elk hunt.

-Allen

Offline Whitewalls

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 05:38:34 AM »
A Kibler Colonial rifle in .54 caliber is a solid elk rifle. The kits are fool proof and difficult to screw up. Youtube videos with detailed step by step instructions on the assembly and finishing the stock. You have plenty of time to complete the kit and be ready for next elk season well below your $3500 budget.

Offline Brian Stewart

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 05:48:54 AM »
Allen
It'll be around September 10 is when it starts. I appreciate your consideration feel free to send me your number if thats something you think may work. Yes brass furniture in a 54 caliber
 Thanks Brian

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 06:53:19 AM »
In your case I would go to the Alabama show this weekend and buy one. I’m certain Wayne will have something you like. You should send Wayne a PM and tell him what your after, if you can’t make the show.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 08:01:42 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline Goo

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 04:30:14 PM »
I will finish your kit PM sent
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 05:29:08 PM »
I would suggest considering Chuck Edwards as well.  He finishes quite a number of our kits for customers who call and want a finished rifle.  He's super talented, gets things done pretty fast and charges a very fair price for his work.  I think the value you get from our kits and Chuck's finish work is really hard to beat.

Jim

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 06:00:49 PM »
After talking to several rifle makers it looks like I'm a year to a two year wait to get a rifle. I'm wanting to elk hunt with a flintlock next year. Either I get a kit and finish myself which I'm afraid to mess it up or try to find a one that I like. Or have someone finish one for me that isnt backed up and send them the kit. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm wanting to do an Isaac Haines with a metal patch box and some light carving and engraving but nothing super elaborate. I was wondering if there are any builders that aren't booked out that far that I could still get it in time to have it ready for elk season?

Do you have any maker in your vicinity?
Kibler kits are very easy to assemble.
Given my I would order the Woodrunner is 54-58.
The Colonial, for me, needs a little tweeking, which I know how to do, since I tend to suffer from cheekbone pain probably my construction  not the rifles.
The Kibler Colonial goes together very nicely with almost no fitting. Just a few minor chisel cuts. You will spend more time sanding with 220-320 grit than fitting. Brass parts will need a little polish and maybe some light file work. I don’t think its possible to really screw up a Kibler. AND you can contact Kibler and ask them  who will assemble a kit for you. They may know someone. They do turn up on Track of The Wolf’s site now and then.
While I was typing Jim K responded.
I have a number of projects pending and the Kibler that is at the PO right now will be my shooter, replacing the one  I have been shooting sicne I wanted a brass box, I actually use them for patches. The other may go to my Daughter not sure yet.
Currently recovering from flooing half the big room downstainrs, unfortunately its only 1/2 done. :o
A friend of mine put a Colonial together last summer in 58 and killed a bull with it early in the rifle season here in MT.
AND given my experience and that of others in my guild I would avoid rifles you find used. Good chance they may have hidden issues you do not want to deal with. I will explain in a PM if you like.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 06:58:25 PM »
A Kibler Colonial rifle in .54 caliber is a solid elk rifle. The kits are fool proof and difficult to screw up. Youtube videos with detailed step by step instructions on the assembly and finishing the stock. You have plenty of time to complete the kit and be ready for next elk season well below your $3500 budget.

I'd opt for a .58 - larger bore never hurt. I like Dan's idea as well, the Woodsrunner.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 05:21:41 AM »
You will have a lot of good choices in builders. Since you mention carving and engraving, I'll throw out Jim "Bama" Parker's name. Jim can and does regularly do it all and has been building for years, including some high dollar pieces, but his rate on assembling a kit is very fair (to me anyway) and he can add whatever carving and engraving at a very reasonable price. Calvary Longrifles is his business, but he is on here as Bama.

I camped at his table during the CLA show last year and he had a finished Kibler kit that I could have sold at least a dozen times. It was already sold and there to be picked up. Very few even knew it started as a kit...it looked like the real McCoy.

We'll be at the AL-KY show in Rodgersville AL this week, but you might try him after that.

Best,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Whitewalls

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2023, 06:29:18 AM »

I'd opt for a .58 - larger bore never hurt. I like Dan's idea as well, the Woodsrunner.

.54 caliber supplies are more readily available which may make or break a hunting trip.
The Kibler Colonial is advertised as shiping in a couple of weeks but the Woodsrunner currently has a 6 month wait.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2023, 03:05:51 PM »
You could very well find a rifle to suit your needs (new or used) at the Lake Cumberland show next month and drive right home with it.

Hold to the Wind

Offline 409

• Starting Member
    • Wayne Doucette
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2023, 05:38:52 PM »
Take Jim's advise and talk to Chuck Edwards and order a Woodsrunner in 54 cal. I received mine a few weeks ago and as I suspected in 54 cal. the balance was excellent,as good as my Isaac Haines and better than the 58cal. Colonial.The shorter barrel will also be handier in the bush. Try to get one in your hands and you will feel what I mean.

Respectfully.

Wayne Doucette.

Offline Brian Stewart

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2023, 01:22:03 AM »
  It looks like I've got a build of exactly what I want all lined up and will be ready in plenty of time before season to have it ready.  This is a great forum and everyone are super helpful and many have went out of their to help me out.  I really appreciate all the advise and assistance offered.