Author Topic: Final Walnut Stock Finish  (Read 831 times)

Offline LOZ

• Starting Member
Final Walnut Stock Finish
« on: January 16, 2023, 07:07:30 PM »
I just applied the eighth ( and final ) coat of Truoil on a walnut stock. Each coat of Truoil was buffed down with 0000 steel wool. I am happy with the smooth finish at this point.
My question is, should I apply a coat of paste wax and buff or would Murphy Oil Soap work also?

Offline paulitus

Re: Final Walnut Stock Finish
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 08:00:14 PM »
Neither. Leave it as is. Murphy’s Oil Soap should be banned.

Offline LOZ

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 08:34:59 PM »
Thank you!

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 08:59:41 PM »
A coat of high-quality paste wax, such as Briwax will give it a nice sheen. I have used paste wax on my builds for almost 50 years with no problems.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 09:12:39 PM »
I just applied the eighth ( and final ) coat of Truoil on a walnut stock. Each coat of Truoil was buffed down with 0000 steel wool. I am happy with the smooth finish at this point.
My question is, should I apply a coat of paste wax and buff or would Murphy Oil Soap work also?

Tru-Oil is pretty hard. I think wax would be a waste of time. I have been making rifles for 50+ years now and never waxed one yet or ever used Murphy’s Oil Soap for anything. Its certainly not something I would EVER put on a gunstock. You you want more shine get some rottenstone and boiled Linseed oil and rub it out some more OR using the LS oil west sane it with 600 or 1000 grit wet or dry paper.  Might mix the LS oil with some Tru-oil. Tru-Oil is too fast drying for wet sanding. But you may end up with a mirror finish…..
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine