Author Topic: Patch box update  (Read 794 times)

Offline rick landes

Patch box update
« on: January 18, 2023, 06:17:48 PM »
Here is the patch box before engraving that I had asked for feedback from you all about a year ago. I thought you might like to see it. I originally going to use flush cut silver pins to hold it in place. I did not accomplish that on this try as I had difficulty getting the pins to draw down as I wanted. So I went with #6 screws for the top hinge and #4 for the side plates. The heads were oval cut, polished and fire blued. I did index these to slots running length of rifle.

“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Patch box update
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 06:50:32 PM »
Nicely done Rick. I’d not want to inlet those sideplates!
Andover, Vermont

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 08:16:10 PM »
Nice design and superb inletting, well done!
Cheers Richard

Offline yip

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 10:47:45 PM »
   BEAUTFUL!!!!!!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 10:49:33 PM »
Now THAT is special!! Love it. 8)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 11:14:09 PM »
Very nice. Good design and a good job.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 11:29:57 PM »
That lid is gorgeous and inletted perfectly.  impressive job.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline rick landes

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 04:58:36 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I Wanted a narrow sideplate design and drew this up. Someone had suggested narrowing the pieces so I cut them back about 50% in width in some areas. (Thank you to whom ever that was!) I have been very slow in getting this finished. I also am not a good engraver so I was after a design that would allow the "feel" of an engraved piece without too much chiseling to do. (I only have two fingers on my left hand so holding any engraver chisel and hammer can be a bit of a challenge, but then again I can't twiddle my thumbs. ::))  There will be accent lines and curves in the finished product. Seems between cancer recovery, torn retinas, various other adventures I find myself occupied with other uninteresting adventures. The comments are nice to hear. Thank you all.
Now on to the toe plate design...
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson