Author Topic: anyone have good engraving font sources?  (Read 3986 times)

brokenflint

anyone have good engraving font sources?
« on: November 14, 2009, 06:46:50 PM »
I'm looking for fonts in both block and script types that can be used as study / practice examples.  Anyone have any favorites or sites to hunt down?

Broke

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: anyone have good engraving font sources?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:07:06 PM »
You might have some luck searching the paperback publications by Dover Press. I don't own any of them but remember seeing books on both printed fonts and script. The one note of caution is that Dover will sometimes lumps material from several centuries in one book --- so read their sources carefully.

For printed fonts you can just look at the many period books and newspapers that are reproduced on line. "Caslon" (Sp?) was one very popular font. It looks a bit like Times Roman but has the long s and different capital letters.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 08:34:57 PM »
Hi Broke,
Adobe type library and Dover Publications are good sources that you can investigate online.  If you have Microsoft Office or Word look at the following fonts: Castellar, Edwardian Script, and Engravers MT.  They are useful practice and I often use them as basic templates which I modify when engraving on guns.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 08:53:13 PM »
I bought a paperback book called, George Bickham's PENMENSHIP made easy  (Young Clerks Assistant).  It is a Dover Publication.  ISBN 0-486-29779-9  It is a reprint of a 1733 publication. It was only $5.95.  I use it all the time for Old English, Roman and Italic, Round-had and Italian and various other scripts.
DMR

brokenflint

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 05:42:53 PM »
Gary - will look at these on the next trip to borders or barnes and noble.

Dave_Person  I previously used the engravers mt, but not the other two, just made some signature samples with the castellar and edwardian.

James - thanks for the links, nice addition to my library

Dave Rase - I see if I can find this one also on the next book run. 

thanks all

Broke

dannybb55

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »
Diderot's cyclopedia has a section on caligraphie and hand writing. Don't skip over the part on gunsmith shops. This is the primary source for all of the Williamsburg shops.

brokenflint

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »
Danny  wish I could afford a copy of Diderot's  ;)

holzwurm

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:49:42 PM »
I've seen books on this at Barn's & Noble. I think they were Dover Press Pub's