Author Topic: Flintlock Fowler info  (Read 5544 times)

Offline tiswell

Flintlock Fowler info
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »
       Hello,
           I am new to the forum and arrive here in search of information on building a Flintlock Fowler. It will be my first project of this type in many years. So I am virtual a rookie looking to build a fowler that would have been built in America in the mid 1700s and I would like it to be a working mans version, light on the fancy stuff but not totally void of some personalization. I have so far armed myself with only a track of the wolf catalog and are now in search of whatever other resources anyone might offer. I am thinking of a kit for my first endeavor but I am not too timid as to try one from components if I can locate an appropriate pattern or drawings. Thanks

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Flintlock Fowler info
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:53:43 PM »
The book, "Colonial Fowlers- the First Guns Made in America" (I think that's the title) should be for sale at Track.  That would be great for inspiration.  I have lots of pix of simple original fowlers/muskets too if you want to get creative.  if you want me to send you some pix my email is rpierce@dom.wustl.edu

Generally, the early guns classify into club-butts, New England styles that have a curved buttstock, Hudon Valley fowlers which were very long and large guage, and "Kentucky" fowlers made by fellers who also made rifles.  There were some in the British style made in the NY City and Long Island areas.  You may find one style more appealing than another or want to go with a regional style that fits where you live.

The plainest ones are simple muskets roughly patterned after British or Dutch ordinance.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 09:14:37 PM »
 Welcome to the ALR. Have you looked at these?

Tim C.

http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles03.htm

Joe S

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:30:42 PM »
You might want to look at this too:  http://www.fowlingguns.com/

But, it’s really a lot more fun to whittle your own and Rich will help you out when you get stuck.

If you decide to do an HV fowler, let me know.  I just finished one, and while it’s still fresh in my mind, I can give you a lot of helpful hints.  For example, don’t rasp the swells off flat when you’re shaping the forend.  Or, don’t drive a square nail into your stock unless you’re really, really sure you want it there.  I can also tell you how to get a square nail out.  It’s not easy.

Offline tiswell

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 06:11:58 AM »
     Guys,
        Thanks for all of the input, I will look into the colonial fowler book. I have looked at the Chambers Pennsylvania Fowler. The price scared me a little bit at first, but everything I hear about his stuff is overwhelmingly positive. Before I dive into this, I will arm myself with some more info and then decide which path to take, kit or blank and components.
                                                                                                        Blessings, Bill Nash

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:29:01 AM »
Never forget, you get what you pay for. Spend your money on a Chambers kit, and have no regrets in the future.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 07:53:27 AM »
If your name is "Nash", you might be carrying on a family tradition.....there was a Nash who made rifles up around the Rowan County area of North Carolina IIRC, or at least somewhere in the NC Piedmont area.