Author Topic: Finishing up #2  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

Finishing up #2
« on: November 19, 2009, 06:15:15 AM »
This is a rifle I am just finishing up.  It was supposed to be a graduation present for my son from West Point, but let's just say it took a little longer than expected to finish.  ( At least I had something to work on while he was deployed!) It is a 50 cal 42" Green mountain barrel, curly maple stock, small Siler lock, and Davis double set triggers.  The escutcheons are sterling silver and have a "West Point " theme.  The rear escutcheon is a set of crossed cannons since he branched field artillery .  The two forward escutcheons are single cannons.  The cheekpiece inlay is the helmet of Athena, part of the crest of the United States Military Academy.  On the side plate, " USMA " is engraved and the class motto is engraved upon the patchbox.  The curly maple stock was stained with a combination of two types of stain from Laurel Mountain forge, then sealed with 2 coats of Permalyn.  Multiple coats of Linseed oil followed with a few more to be applied.  I haven't polished the brass yet so you will see some oil on it ( if I get my pictures posted correctly).  I haven't been able to take pictures of the complete rifle yet but I will.  I'm going to try to post some pictures but bear with me if they don't come out as they should.  Thanks to all for your advice, I don't post often but I read a lot of your posts. 
Acer, thanks for the tutorial on posting pictures.  I have tried to follow them to the letter.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Finishing up #2
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 07:56:46 AM »
Great theme and I like that you have no fear and are taking on carving, working your own theme, and being creative.  What a wonderful gift.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:53:49 AM »
He is going to be very happy with his rifle with out a doubt. Its a great thing to make a family heirloom to be passed on to his children and to be hung over the fireplaces of future generations. Congrats on your son's graduating from West Point it is something to be very proud of.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:58:46 PM »
Bravo, a keepsake.

Berks Liberty

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 04:00:39 PM »
Awesome theme!  Congrats to your son and your family for graduating from West Point!  The rifle is really special and anyone would be proud to have it!