Author Topic: Touch Hole Placement  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Chris in SE PA

Touch Hole Placement
« on: February 08, 2023, 04:38:52 AM »
I've decided that on my next build I will be installing a hooked "patent" breech.

The breech plug assembly I bought (from M.B.S.) will increase the overall length of the barrel/plug assembly by the better part of 1 inch. So, this raises a question for me. Should I drill the touch hole opening in  the barrel in front of the plug or through the plug itself? To go in front of the plug, I will need to move the standing part of the breech plug assembly farther back into the stock to keep my lock placement correct.

Offline Ats5331

Re: Touch Hole Placement
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 04:54:36 AM »
Chris, my next build is a similar circumstance. Ed Rayl barrel with a patent breech. The trick for locating the vent liner will be finding the antechamber depth and then drilling for the liner.

Ed Rayl told me to not take apart that breech unless it is a necessity, and gave me the afore mentioned instruction.

I agree with you though, the patent breech involves a bit more planning and double checking than a normal breech plug ignition location!

Feel free to reach out if you discover any more info regarding the subject!

Thanks!

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 07:20:10 AM »
I have made a few of them and I try to locate the liner so the back of the liner is at the back of the ante-chamber and place the pan accordingly.

Offline Chris in SE PA

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 01:16:53 PM »
When you say the back of the ante chamber, you do mean to bore through the plug, correct?

Offline Goo

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 03:59:03 PM »
I thought patent breech design is for percussion not flint locks. 

Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 04:08:51 PM »
I thought patent breech design is for percussion not flint locks.

Have you heard of Henry Nock?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 04:37:32 PM »
High end English guns used them and some had internal designs that were supposed enhance ignition and they had already developed locks that were the fastest ever made.My late and still much missed friend,Tom Dawson had a 16 gauge rifle and it was as fast as any cap lock I ever fired including my Whitworth that had very fast lock time with its "4 pin"Brazier lock.Tom's rifle was a Manton and the lock had a tiny pan and when tested the reaction was abrupt and the sparks were white and sizzled in the pan.I have yet to see any modern lock and that includes those I made that were that fast.Finding the depth of the chamber in these breeches is so simple and a long rod that will go into it when inserted in the muzzle and then marked will work really well.
  Bob Roller

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 01:26:00 AM »
I like to de-breech the barrel. I make sure there is a witness mark on the bottom flat/breech plug. When I have the plug out I measure the depth and diameter of the ante-chamber. I mark the side flat where I want the liner to go and in most cases drill the ante-chamber out in diameter not depth a tad bigger if it only has a 1/4 inch hole then cone or funnel the entrance to the chamber and drill and tap the liner and install so no part of the liner protrudes into the ante-chamber. Right or wrong its worked for me.

Offline Chris in SE PA

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 12:22:23 AM »
So, tell me if this looks correct: I ran a rod down the barrel and marked that length on the barrel as the vertical line. The dot is where I think that I should drill for the touch hole liner.

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 12:59:26 AM »
Yup. Looks good from here.

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 02:59:01 AM »
Chris, my next build is a similar circumstance. Ed Rayl barrel with a patent breech. The trick for locating the vent liner will be finding the antechamber depth and then drilling for the liner.

Ed Rayl told me to not take apart that breech unless it is a necessity, and gave me the afore mentioned instruction.

I agree with you though, the patent breech involves a bit more planning and double checking than a normal breech plug ignition location!

Feel free to reach out if you discover any more info regarding the subject!

Thanks!

I got one of his barrels breached the same  I now understand why he told you to leave it be boy oh boy was that sucker on there tight !  But I still wanted to see what I was dealing with and Polish up the opening to the ante chamber , that reduced dia on his patent breach  is 3/8” if you wanted to know

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 03:11:40 AM »
It would look weird as $#*& to put the touch hole in front of the plug.  It’s not really an option.