Author Topic: Sear arm too short  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Bigmon

Sear arm too short
« on: February 17, 2023, 12:55:08 AM »
I am reusing a large siler lock that had been on an 11/16" straight 36 cal.  Or maybe a 13/16".  No matter.  But I am using it on a larger 62 cal swamped barrel.
The problem is that the sear arm is just too short.  Maybe only 1/8" or so, but still too short.
I can lengthen it by adding some weld from a little wire feed machine.
But could the heat cause a problem.  I could use a tater as a heat sink.
I did that before with a frizzen and it worked ok.

Online smylee grouch

Re: Sear arm too short
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 01:08:01 AM »
Can you get a new sear for it or off set the trigger to the lock side enuf to make it work?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 01:17:03 AM »
Blurping a bump on the end of the sear with a wire feed welder should not heat the sear's hardened tip. A heat sink would guarantee this.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 01:39:40 AM »
Hi,
Why not just replace the sear?  It was probably shortened for the skinny gun.  Chambers or TOW should have the part and you should be able to get it already drilled and heat treated. Hopefully, your lock was not a kit someone built because then all bets on easily fitting replacement parts are off.  I suspect that if your trigger just hits the sear at its end, you are likely to have a pretty mushy trigger pull unless the sear is fitted very precisely to the lock plate and bridle.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 02:12:50 AM »
You can also offset the trigger so it contacts the sear.  Many “Early” rifles, and especially muskets were made this way to compensate for the large breech.      Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 12:34:04 PM »
Simply replacing the sear would be the best idea but if you're in a hurry an extension can be added. The pic below shows an extension brazed into place. It was clamped in a heavy vise to act as a heat sink before brazing. The brass seam is easy to see:

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 07:20:51 PM »
How about solder a piece of steel tubing over the length of it?
Mike Lee

Offline kutter

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 09:07:28 PM »
I've done more than a few on M/Ldrs and modern SxS sears that were too short by cutting an half-lap (overlapping) joint on the existing sear. Then the same on the extension piece. This all for extra strength.

The two sections are Hard Soldered together.
I usually just put the sear nose itself in the vise jaws and close firmly as a heat sink for that area.

Never had one come apart and Hard Soldering that small of a piece is easily done with a plain Propane Torch.

I like the 'steel tube' slipped over the existing sear arm and soldered into place too...good idea!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 05:02:35 AM »
I am assuming that you have a D profile breach section?  You can slightly bevel the bolster that will bring in your rear lock panels just a tad and you dont have to weld on an extension. The off setting your trigger in the trigger plate is something that was commonly don on the old guns. Just a thought

I have seen one trigger bar for set triggers that had the triggers off set to one side just a little. I had never seen that done before. I will see if I cant find a picture of them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 05:16:10 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 06:03:44 PM »
Thanks all for all the advise.  All great ideas.
I remembered that I have a couple other rifles with Lg Silers.  So I just switched the sear with a different one.  And there ya have it.  Both locks work fine and theproblem is solved.
I did go out to my garage and experiment trying to lemgthen a heavy neal with my welder.  NO good, just kept burning up the nails, even after lowering the settings sveral times?
But I didnt need tht anyway.
Thanks again

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 03:58:10 AM »
Many years ago, I made a thin steel tube to slip fit over the sear on a CVA to get a little more length.  I think I epoxied it in place and shaped with a file after that to relieve the bottom.  It was part of a mini musketoon  type gun I put together from pieces and parts for my young son.  It worked.