Author Topic: EZ-Out recommendation for Kibler WR vent liner?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline stan57

• Starting Member
EZ-Out recommendation for Kibler WR vent liner?
« on: November 11, 2023, 07:06:26 PM »
Just a quick check to see if anyone has successfully removed a Kibler vent liner, and if so, what tap drill and EZ-Out extractor size did you use?

Offline Gemmer

Re: EZ-Out recommendation for Kibler WR vent liner?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 07:28:50 PM »
Call Jim at Kibler.

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 07:49:51 PM »
I use a Tig torch washer then a nut the leverage is multiplied the thread tension is also normalized .
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 08:07:15 PM »
Drill with a 1/8" bit then just use the appropriate sized easy-out.  We use blue loctite so it takes a bit of force, but nothing too excesive.

Offline stan57

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 08:55:48 PM »
Drill with a 1/8" bit then just use the appropriate sized easy-out.  We use blue loctite so it takes a bit of force, but nothing too excesive.

Thanks Jim

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 12:58:06 AM »
Sacrilegious!

Offline stan57

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 04:19:54 AM »
Sacrilegious!

LOL don't be a Pharisee...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 04:29:25 AM by stan57 »

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2023, 04:23:56 AM »
Sacrilegious!

Who’s got the reconversion parts 🤣🤣

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2023, 01:04:55 PM »
The surprising thing is that Mr. Kibler has not offered a cap lock conversion himself.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2023, 02:09:14 PM »
I believe there are still some of us that have a broad interest in all muzzleloaders.

Sometimes I have an itch to leave my Kibler Woodsrunner at home and find me an old 70's Percussion CVA Kentucky in .45 so I can emulate me in the mid 1970's wishing I had a 50 caliber Percussion TC Hawken.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 02:14:36 PM by Bob Hatfield »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2023, 05:00:36 PM »

Thanks Jim

If you do this make SURE the drum is well supported by the lock plate. Cold rolled drums have been known to break off and become projectiles. Cold rolled does not like impacts and these things do not have radius cuts at the rebate which makes it even more likely to fail. I don’t do drum and nipple guns. The old iron drums would bend. Cold rolled steels are intentionally made brittle and have very low numbers in Charpy Impact Testing. Both “Stress Proof” (1144 cold rolled “free machining) and Fatigue Proof (12L14 leaded screw stock) tend to break at the rebate unless very carefully radiused. 
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline stan57

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2023, 06:52:45 PM »
edited to remove old geezer curmudgeon response
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 07:39:27 PM by stan57 »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2023, 01:07:07 AM »

Thanks Jim

I think your cap lock woods runner look neat  8)-- as said make sure that your drum is supported by your lock plate. I do like the look ;) Hope it works well for you.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline stan57

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2023, 02:48:59 AM »
I think your cap lock woods runner look neat  8)-- as said make sure that your drum is supported by your lock plate. I do like the look ;) Hope it works well for you.

Thanks, but not mine! Copied pic off of MLF thread on this very subject. If I remember correctly, the pic was taken at a Kibler open house. Don't think Jim did it, tho.

Planning something similar... Maybe....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 02:53:09 AM by stan57 »

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 02:27:49 AM »
I'd weaken that mainspring someway.  I do believe a Woodsrunner mainspring is really strong. Might be too strong to hit a nipple even if it is in a patent breech.

Bob

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2023, 03:54:37 AM »
Weak percussion springs cause excessive hammer bounce, gas escape and this can result in fragments, etc, hitting the shooter in the face. So long as there is a cap on the nipple a stiff mainspring should not cause any problems. Personally, if it were me I would cut the barrel back and use  “patent” type percussion breech as is found on the spuriously stamped heavy long rifle conversion with the Hawken stamp on the barrel. While its possible Hawken may have converted it and even stamped the barrel they did not make that rifle.
W. Greener in the “The Gun” from  1835 was not a fan of converting flintlocks to percussion with a drum and nipple and I am not either.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine