Author Topic: Vent liner not flush with the bore  (Read 3656 times)

eagle24

Vent liner not flush with the bore
« on: August 14, 2008, 07:15:12 AM »
Hope this is in the right forum.  I bought a rifle a few days ago and took her out to the range this evening.  Overall I am pleased and she shot some pretty respectable groups right off the bat, but I noticed my cleaning patches tore every time I ran a patch between shots and I felt something a little funny right when I seated the ball on the powder charge each time I loaded.  When I got home tonight and cleaned her up, I figured out what was tearing the patches.  Apparently the vent liner is sticking into the bore and stopping my cleaning jag at that point.  My question is can I remove the vent liner and file and install a new vent liner without pulling the breech plug or will the breech plug have to come out?  I'm guessing I will have cleaning problems if I don't take care of this.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Vent liner not flush with the bore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:41:52 AM »
Actually it would be good to know what kind of rifle you are talking about. On most rifles the best and easiest way to make the liner flush would be to pull the breech plug and work the end of the vent liner from the inside of the barrel. However on some production rifles you are probably better off not to pull the breech plug.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:59:39 AM by Randy Hedden »
American Mountain Men #1393

northmn

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 03:08:02 PM »
On rifles I build and many others you would not get the breech plug out with the liner installed as I adapt the face of the plug to fit the liner.  Take it out, if it has screw driver slots or a allen face and measure the depth of the barrel wall then file it down.  As Randy stated, knowing th type of rifle would help.  If it gets real stubborn buy a replacement and take it out with an EZ out.  They are not expensive.  Your problem is one that can be remedied at your leisure, when you can take time to order a vent should you have to use an EZout, or what ever.  It would be nice to know the threads also.  Lots like Chambers White Lightening, and removal would be a good time to switch if that is your preference.

DP

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:50:48 PM »
Does the liner unscrew, like, does it have an allen wrench hole, or screwdriver slots?

Or is it flush/flat/smooth on the surface of the barrel, with no visible way of removal?

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 06:47:34 PM »
Is the liner far enough forward of the plug face that it does not lock the plug in place?  If so just pull the plug and file the liner flush.  If not, the liner must be pulled first and work from there............................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......