Author Topic: Entry thimble question.  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Rt5403

Entry thimble question.
« on: March 15, 2023, 06:17:45 AM »
So I have looked at every entry thimble made possibly and can't seem to find one with this profile. I see thimbles with thumbnails and double thumbnails but never one with a pronounced hump like that. Anyone know where I can get something close or how I can possibly make this?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Entry thimble question.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 07:44:21 PM »
You might be able to take a store bought pipe, and raise that hump with punches and lead or maple anvil.

If you are familiar with silver soldering, you can construct one from a store pipe and pieces of brass.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 09:26:42 PM »
What are you building?

Jim

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 09:34:24 PM »
What are you building?

Jim

It's the Crockett first rifle plans. Not trying for a carbon copy( Not that talented) . But I do like the profile and some of the features. Going to be my first blank build. Going to do as much of the work myself as possible. Going to use a rice .44 inch c weight .54 cal Lancaster barrel. I am going to use Dave keck to inlet the barrel. Was thinking I could take a production thimble and maybe anneal it and see if I can stretch that hump out a little.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 02:14:34 AM »
I made a crude forming die from aluminum.  I first drill a hole thru the center of the block to accept the outside diameter of the pipe.  Then I slice the block in half and finish making the mold using a dremel with a ball cutter.  To form the pipe I first fabricate the entry pipe & tail, leaving a bit oversized, set in my form and use polished punches I made to form the pipe. Anneal often. It comes out a bit rough, but finishes up nicely.  I made this one using .040" brass.

Offline StevenV

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 04:01:47 AM »
Nice job!      Steve 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 09:05:24 PM »
I made the entry pipe for my Jacob Kuntz rifle with .032" thick brass.  I formed the bulbous thumbnail using a lead block and a punch shaped from a bridge spike.  One good smack with a 3 pound whacker into the annealed brass did the deed.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 01:03:39 PM »
I'd use brass of 2 different thicknesses and silver solder together. The solder I use is the color of brass.,,,,,,Fred