Author Topic: Question on wood grain at wrist and forestock  (Read 1021 times)

Offline TimberDoodler94

• Starting Member
Question on wood grain at wrist and forestock
« on: March 28, 2023, 02:38:40 AM »
So I finally have decided to get into gun building after trying to figure out if I would like it or not, and figured might as well bite the bullet and get after it. Having never built one before, but having a good bit of woodworking experience I went with one of Kiblers Colonial kits with a .58 rifled barrel with a Cherry stock. Awesome quality parts and one of the most well designed and functioning locks I've ever held! The stock I received has grain that seems to have run-out along the forestock and a bit of cross grain at the wrist. Based on what experience I have with woodworking, that's generally not quite something you'd want to see especially in something that's going to be used. I'll be shooting and hunting with it a lot so I don't really want to have to be worried about being extra careful with not damaging the stock just because the way the grain is on it. I'm looking for some input on if I should have reason for concern for the reasons I mentioned above from anyone who's knowledgeable and I figured this is the best place to ask and learn. Thanks much!

Online Dave Marsh

Re: Question on wood grain at wrist and forestock
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 02:55:48 AM »
I'd send the pictures to Jim and talk to him. 
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 03:45:13 AM »
Don’t worry about it unless you’re going to be taking a LOT of wood out of the wrist. There’s ample stock in that part of the gun to handle most anything outside of extreme abuse. I see those kits as a little too big in that area and I’m sure it’s that way to give carvers enough wood to work with. As for the forestock, it’s just hanging on to the barrel at that part. No worries. Go for it.
W
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 03:48:42 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline TimberDoodler94

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 04:29:46 AM »
I am planning on thinning the wrist down somewhat just because it is so "beefy". Not planning on taking that much, just enough to make it more comfortable to hold and reduce a bit of weight. That's the plan anyway.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 05:45:51 AM »
It’s no worries.  Please know, I wouldn’t ship a stock I wouldn’t feel comfortable using myself.  I look at every stock shipped as well.  To you and others, please trust me.  We are never trying to pull something over you and want every customer to have a great time with our products.  If we do make a mistake, rest assured we’ll make it right.

Jim

Offline TDM

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 06:38:19 AM »
Jim, I hope you that you know just how much the quality of your products means in this day and age of mediocrity. You have set the bar.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 03:49:30 PM »
That should be a beautiful stock when finished, please post pics when it’s done.

On another note, no matter how many times I see them, it always amazes me how Jim is able to get those forestocks so slim. And ship them.

Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 04:08:36 PM »
it's fine, no worries.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline TimberDoodler94

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 01:16:07 AM »
Well thanks all very much for your input. Definitely eased my mind on it. I'll definitely share pictures of the rifle when it's finished.