Author Topic: Using ospho for steel finish  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Garyrad

• Starting Member
Using ospho for steel finish
« on: March 22, 2023, 04:46:38 PM »
Good morning, I was wondering if anyone has used ospho to turn steel gray? I put it on some steel that was sanded smooth with 400 grit emery cloth. It didn’t turn gray just a few streaks of the dry liquid. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong. Just looking for any info.
Thanks Gary

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
Re: Using ospho for steel finish
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 07:18:39 PM »
I use oxpho blue quite a bit.  A couple of things I learned is -
1) degrease with acetone.  I used to degrease with denatured alcohol and found that it seemed to absorb the moisture/humidity and would end up with small rust spots in the finish.
2) Use disposable gloves, you don't want fingerprints on your metal.  Plus it is best if you keep it off your skin.
3) Do not work from the container.  Pour a small amount(however much you think you'll need) into another container and work from that as to not contaminate the original liquid.
4) I usually apply, let it set on the metal for a minute or so, then rub back with degreased steel wool.  No need to get crazy, you just want to level/even the finish.  If I need it darker, I repeat.
5) Once finished and satisfied with the color/tone, I apply a coat of wax.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 08:11:03 PM »
Good morning, I was wondering if anyone has used ospho to turn steel gray? I put it on some steel that was sanded smooth with 400 grit emery cloth. It didn’t turn gray just a few streaks of the dry liquid. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong. Just looking for any info.
Thanks Gary

Yes it will but on fresh steel it is hard to get a consistent finish but its been years since I did an early Lancaster rifle with it, it was a pain but I finally got a uinform finish with it. I have used Oxpho blue quite a bit but you really need to rub the blue back to get a grey finish with it.
Dennis

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 08:50:46 PM »
I think there is some confusion.  Ospho and Oxpho Blue are two different products.

Ospho is a commercial phosphate solution used to stabilize rust on bare metal before painting.  It is not a gun-oriented product.
 However, it turns metal gray and is often used to achieve a French Gray finish.

Oxpho blue is used for bluing gun barrels and I think it is a Brownells product.

They have two different purposes.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 09:12:05 AM »
For a French Gray look I use a phosphate solution that I spray on and let stand for some time - about 15 minutes or so then I do it again. I will wipe off any excess after another 15 minutes then apply some wax on the parts. It will wear off but you can always apply some more . ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Garyrad

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 04:59:53 AM »
Thanks to everyone, I will try another method and see if it works
Gary

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 12:51:28 AM »
I use it on locks. It gives an antique gray look on steel and provides a certain amount of rust protection.