Author Topic: Indy-area b-p source  (Read 4503 times)

caliber45

Indy-area b-p source
« on: December 01, 2009, 01:34:33 AM »
Hey, guys -- Anyone know of a source of black powder (small amount . . . for now, at least) in the Indianapolis area? My brother lives there and can't seem to find anyone selling it. He just wants a pound (3F) for the time being. Any help appreciated! -- paulallen, tucson az

DEADDAWG

Re: Indy-area b-p source
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 02:11:54 AM »
Try Deer Creek .

6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182
765-525-6181

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 03:38:32 AM »
I buy  mine out of the magazine at Friendship.  They will open it and sell during the  week and at most weekend shoots.
Gene

Offline Tim Hamblen

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:01:08 PM »
He'd be advised to drive down to Waldron and buy 3 or 4 lbs. He'll find it in local gun shops (at least down here in Seymour the local shop still sells it) but he'll pay for one pound what 2 will cost anywhere else. Last time I checked it was $18/lb here. That will get almost 2 lbs at Fagel's.He can go down to Friendship but must be a member to buy.But I think Fagel is actually cheaper.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:58:34 AM »
He'd be advised to drive down to Waldron and buy 3 or 4 lbs. He'll find it in local gun shops (at least down here in Seymour the local shop still sells it) but he'll pay for one pound what 2 will cost anywhere else. Last time I checked it was $18/lb here. That will get almost 2 lbs at Fagel's.He can go down to Friendship but must be a member to buy.But I think Fagel is actually cheaper.

Tim, where is this "Fagle's" located please?

Offline Alan Gommel

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 03:34:16 AM »
The Outdoorsman at 1010 south state road 135 at Greenwood handles it317-881-7446
Alan

Offline Tim Hamblen

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:00:52 AM »
I'm sorry, it's Deer Creek mentioned above. Erwin Fagel is the owner. It's north of Greensburg,not all that far from Indy.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 08:21:23 AM »
Thanks Tim.   I am familiar with Deer Creek and have paid them visits in the past.   Thanks again!

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 12:59:04 PM »
For the UK rifle and pistol shooter the main type of black powder is Swiss powder but the cost has  risen too £50 sterling  a kilo  which will be about $75 American , The dealers say it is the transport costs  but  Swiss powder in the States I understand is much cheaper and is transported three times as far. Are we been ripped off?
Feltwad

Offline Tim Hamblen

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
For the UK rifle and pistol shooter the main type of black powder is Swiss powder but the cost has  risen too £50 sterling  a kilo  which will be about $75 American , The dealers say it is the transport costs  but  Swiss powder in the States I understand is much cheaper and is transported three times as far. Are we been ripped off?
Feltwad

Yes. But probably not by the powder maker. More likely is tariffs,fees, taxes, etc etc. But, a kilo is about 2lbs plus a bit , right ? Swiss here down at Friendship is about $20/lb, so let's say a total of maybe $45 American/kilo. But if you bought that same pound at a small dealer or  shop I'd guess it would run you in the $30 range/lb. So you can see your cost over there is not that far off. It's all about who you buy from and what you buy.