Author Topic: Charcoal for color case hardening  (Read 1500 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Charcoal for color case hardening
« on: May 04, 2023, 04:57:35 PM »
I see that Brownells has not sold bone and wood charcoal for case color hardening for quite some time.  I am trying to look ahead and locate a source to replenish my current stock as it is running low.  They had been my go to for 20+ years.  I am looking for a source to acquire ready to use bone and wood charcoal in granulations suitable for color case hardening work. 
Thanks, David

Offline bobw

Re: Charcoal for color case hardening
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 05:31:41 PM »
Might try Ebonex for bone charcoal.  I know poeple are stuggling to find what they need now days for case hardening.  Some are making their own charcoal.  Attached are a couple links to hardening info that may or may not help.  The assra thread is running currently and a couple guys are talikng about how the make charcoal.  On the assra site you will be allowed to read the info but not see links or pictures unles you are a member.  I have not read the Marlin thread but thought it might help.  I know I’ve seen threads on where some are getting charcoal but don’t seem to beable to find them right now.
Good luck
Bob

https://forum.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1681495061
http://marlin-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3732

Offline JH Ehlers

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 06:28:06 PM »
Many years ago I used bone charcoal to filter water for a marine fish tank. It was not that expensive as well. You might want to look at filtration products for air and water. If you will get the same results I don't know.

Offline bobw

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 07:35:43 PM »
David,
Got interested enough this morning that I started reading the Marlin thread.  Looks like Berger Brothers, Chicago, for charcoal.  Looking on the net, apparently they are now Goodwill charcoal and firewood.
Bob

Offline Rwnblack

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 07:02:42 AM »
I use 10x28 bone charcoal from Ebonex and grind up hardwood lump charcoal with an old meat grinder.  I use a 1/3 2/3 mix of bone and wood charcoal.

I have a bit more information and mor example’s on my website www.gundoctor.ca