Author Topic: Gouge recommendations again (non carving )- Oh No!  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Oil Derek

Gouge recommendations again (non carving )- Oh No!
« on: April 28, 2023, 05:23:13 PM »
 Searching threads did not seem to answer my need.

Is there consensus on the most USEFUL 3-5 gouges for general stock work?  And in particular for lock moldings and inletting?  I realize there is no absolute here.  But I don’t want to buy gouges with sweeps or widths that I will seldom use.

Offline okieboy

Re: Gouge recommendations again (non carving )- Oh No!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 05:55:38 PM »
Okieboy

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 06:56:15 PM »
Thanx OkieBoy.  One reason I ask is that Woodcraft have Pfeil on sale for 15% off making them price competitive with the Narex.  Don't various sweeps and widths matter?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 07:28:42 PM »
OD:  for inletting, I use a 1/4" gouge, and sometimes a very small one that is a palm chisel and is about 1/8" wide.  I also use a sweep that has a long bit and handle and is about 3/8" wide (don't know the Pfiel number) for removing wood in the bottom of big inlets.  I don't use chisels for stabbing in for carving so cannot recommend anything for that.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 07:42:49 PM »
Thank you Taylor, much appreciated.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 10:34:23 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 01:03:42 AM »
Thanks Tim. 

Yes, I've previously reviewed the fist 4 you listed but they all seemed dedicated toward carving vs general architectural stock work.  Thus didn't seem overly helpful.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 02:31:14 AM »
It sounds like the Pfiel tool that Taylor mentioned might be a 3 sweep x 6mm fishtail gouge.  I use this one a lot for leveling large areas of background and inlets.  I also use a 5 sweep x 2mm for very small areas and radiuses both in carving and inletting.  I have many Pfiel tools, but these two are by far the ones I use the most, except for my V tools for carving. As far as forming for lock panels, I get close with a round file, then finish up with shop made scraper made from a broken/repurposed needle file.

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 04:06:08 AM »
Thanks Tommy for specifics.  What I was hoping for and much appreciated.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 09:11:06 AM »
My approach might not work for anyone but me.  However, I bought those I needed based on the next thing I had to do.  Woodcraft is just a few miles away and when I determined i needed a different size or sweep, I would get it.  That way I didn't waste money on ones I never used.  Being a very slow builder accommodated my method as did the proximity to Woodcraft.  Doesn't take long to receive orders from Amazon either.   

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 04:20:01 PM »
Great approach Jerry, sounds very convenient.  I don’t have a Woodcraft that close, but they usually get what I order to me in about 2 days.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 05:37:37 PM »
Derek,
Not totally sure what you’re asking for. Most inletting can be done with smaller straight chisels. If gouges are needed, it’s easier to go smaller than bigger. A #5, 5mm wide works good for the front of the lock plate.
For removing bulk from lock panels, side plates, inlays, I sometimes hog out material with a #11, 2mm, then remove the rest with a small flat chisel.
Other than that you will need to experiment to see what works for you.
As far as carving, if you stab in, you’ll meet dozens.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2023, 08:41:23 PM »
Thank you Smallpatch.  I kinda synthesized 3 gouges and a parting tool from the various threads and recommendations from you Guys that posted specifics here.  Basically falls in line with what you just recommended. A 3/6 fishtail, 5/5 and 8/3 gouges and 90*/6mm vee.  Should be a reasonable place to start, I hope.  Probably need a smallish skew.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 04:43:42 AM by Oil Derek »

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2023, 05:33:27 PM »
It is a very hard question to answer because there is always more than one way to do a job. So the job becomes a personal preference as to what tool you use to do the job. I like gouges to layout and stab in my carving. Others on this forum use a v gouge and still others use straight chisels to layout the carving. I think it would be safe to say we all use gouges when we get to the modeling phase of the carving. Jerry has the best answer, buy the one that need to do the job. Easier said than done if you do not live close to the store as you stated, but with the internet these days you can have almost anything in a few days. Most of my gouges are used to just stab in my carving design, I use a double bevel skew chisel to do most of the relieving of the wood and a few gouges to do the modeling or sculpting of the carving. The best way to figure out which gouges you need to stab in a design is to take to design to the store and see which gouges you need to do that design. I did this with the Edward Marshal rifle. I wanted the gouges required to make the graduated gouge marks on the wrist. So I took the picture down to the store and bought the gouges that matched the marks of my picture.

Just get started, you will figure out what you need, I know that is not the answer you want. Wallace Gusler made a carving video that is a good learning tool that I would recommend. Start there and many of you questions will be answered.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2023, 10:28:26 PM »
Thanks Jim.  Yes, I’m starting to see the light and everyone’s logic here seems very sound.  Great idea to settle on a design then match tools to the job.