Author Topic: Christmas Tree/Money Tree  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Christmas Tree/Money Tree
« on: May 11, 2023, 02:40:17 PM »
The big legendary wood is of course the Slippery Rock tree, but has anyone ever worked any of old Ron Griffey's Christmas Tree or Money Tree stocks?  They are the legends in our region here in the Delmarva area.  Before my time but I always heard stories of them and I actually have one in process now.  This is a gun  a former club member had profiled 20 years ago into a left handed, percussion, late Sheetz, which is the last thing I wanted to build, but got it in early stages of build for a very good price and happened to have a left handed buddy who wanted a plain gun just sorta like that.  Not sure which tree it's from as it's so long ago nobody in our group is sure, but dang it's got curl for days.  Wish I had a closet full of blanks like this.  Anyone remember these or work any of it?
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline B.Habermehl

Re: Christmas Tree/Money Tree
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 11:32:43 PM »
I’m sure I worked with some of that wood, there was a gentleman from the Baltimore area that I built a bunch of guns for. He was a close friend of Griffey’s. IIRC it was hard on chisel edges, lots of silica in the wood Fred Miller told me. Made a number of really nice guns. BJH
BJH

Offline mountainman

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 02:03:42 AM »
I have a pre shaped stock with a barrel inlet, that wood is by Griffy, I had worked on a squirrel rifle with the same wood.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 04:49:26 PM »
I always heard the stories behind the names were that when he found each he said "I'll make great money on that one" and "Whoo, it's going to be a good Christmas for the family" when he found the other.   ;D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"