Author Topic: Brazing Brass for Resto. Project  (Read 1166 times)

Offline 120RIR

Brazing Brass for Resto. Project
« on: May 15, 2023, 04:27:38 AM »
I need to make some modifications to a cast brass triggerguard and need to add material.  Can you braze brass?  I can solder 'till the cows come home but I would of course like to make the additions invisible or at least not readily apparent.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Brazing Brass for Resto. Project
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 04:39:22 AM »
You’ll need a braze that melts at a lower temp than the brass. Rio Grande supply has a yellow silver bearing material that will work. I’m not 💯 clear on when something is s solder versus a braze.
Andover, Vermont

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 01:12:24 PM »
Have someone TIG weld it. I've modified trigger guards and butt plate using TIG.

Offline Goo

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 02:52:08 PM »
I do what you are asking about all the time with an oxy acetylene torch and 1/16" brazing rod.  Sometimes you get weird alloys in the castings that bubble and cause some porosity.  It takes hand eye coordination and heat control but it takes some practice and a lot of nerve.    The main problem comes from over heating the work and having the piece collapse into  two pieces or a puddle. so you have to support the work with soft fire brick or some other method that doesn`t cause too much of a heat sink.   if you want you can send it me and I will do it for you pm me for details     
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 06:16:06 PM »
Thanks guys...especially for the offer to do the work for me!  I'm kinda' re-thinking how to approach this annoying little project and will check out that yellow stuff from Rio that Rich suggested.  Even if the joint shows a bit at first, by the time I done with some ageing it shouldn't be visible at all.   

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 06:56:10 PM »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Grischi

• Youtube: 'Ist das Kunst oder kann das weg?'
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 05:06:03 AM »
You can use silver solder. It needs about 1240f working temperature.
I did it recently.

Christian

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 05:53:00 PM »
Silver solder...absolutely and I've worked with that for decades.  I just want the joint to be as discreet as possible and silver will show to a discerning eye in a restoration.