Author Topic: Cutting Walnut for stock blanks  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Cutting Walnut for stock blanks
« on: May 04, 2023, 07:38:15 PM »
I thought the ALR members might appreciate this photo of a Circassian Walnut log being split into  quarters before being sawn into planks. Planks are then reduced into stock blanks, end grain sealed and air dried. Some of the  blanks should find their was to my place.  Hard to guess how old this log is.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Cutting Walnut for stock blanks
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 09:12:32 PM »
WOW --- looks like dangerous work!!!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 08:44:04 AM »
That just looks amazing Ron!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 06:21:12 PM »
Thats a big tree!  Cool pic.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 06:36:46 PM »
That's the biggest walnut I've ever seen.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline helwood

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 01:17:37 AM »
Greetings Ron,
I really enjoy working with this wood.  The figuring and tightness of the grain is outstanding.  The stocks for my last Brace/Dolep inspired was from you, couldn't be happier.         Later, Hank

Offline Clint

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2023, 01:39:02 AM »
Ron,
Thats a pretty impressive walnut butt! On a slightly more manageable scale, I have sawn quite a few big black cherry buts and a whole bunch of butternut. I have a friend who has three big black walnuts and he asked me how to turn them into planks. There is a local chemist PHD who's hobby is collection and running saws. The last time I spent the day with him, we cut up 2000 feet of 1x12 white pine. I think he charged me $200. The point is- not all trees are firewood. Lots of ash is going to the dump or into the stove because of the emerald bore. (ash is great furniture wood) A butt 24 inches can squeeze into a size normal rifle stock. An internet search could easily turn up a local guy with a band saw on a trailer who will come to saw things up. It is great fun to pull planks off the saw and stack them up. The art of making planks is half saw and three halves stacking and drying. If not stacked and dried well , you get flatish lengths of fire wood.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2023, 04:29:17 PM »
These Walnut trees, English, Circassian, or whatever label one chooses, grow wild in Armenia, Turkey, Iran, Georgia and other countries in that region. The stumps are excavated and the best of the stocks are cut with the butt stock of the blank situated in the root swell. We are fortunate that this particular family business is willing to custom cut blanks up to 62 inches, as thick as 3 inches and with enough drop to build flintlocks. The three blanks in the photo are farily representative of those I receive.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2023, 07:09:57 PM »
Nice!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 11:37:19 PM »
What are the prices on these blanks? I have had one very similar to these and made an Eastern style rifle,half stock with silver butt plate and trigger guard,my lock and single set trigger and Bill Large 45 caliber barrel.No idea where it went or is now.I was told by the man I bought the blank from that it came out of Russia.It was hard wood and I wore out a new Stanley Surform rasp on it.
Bob Roller

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023, 04:39:02 AM »
Bob I sent a pm

Offline godutch

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2023, 07:14:07 PM »
  Eye candy..!  Thanks for posting. I could stare at pretty blanks (any species) all day long and be happy.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 10:30:27 PM »
Sent you a PM Ron.   Best wishes,   Marc

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 05:21:01 AM »
I bought a blank from Ron...was not disappointed. they are prettier when you can fondle them and raise the grain at the same time  ;).
Cheers Richard