Author Topic: Carved Woodsrunner - Finishing  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Carved Woodsrunner - Finishing
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2023, 03:57:52 AM »
Thank you guys.  I appreciate it.  I’ll post more pictures when it’s done.  I’ll also talk about the aging process. 

Jim

Not on topic, but have you ever considered putting out an iron mounted Colonial?

We might someday.  There are some limitations with investment casting some thin parts in steel, but we’ll be machining these soon, so it’s a possibility. 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2023, 04:06:38 AM »
Love the brass!  I'm not a fan of shiny brass and my previous paltry builds have only metal furniture. I hope you explain the "how to" of getting the brass to look that good!

This is a combination of paint, dings and patina solution.  The brass is dinged up, some of these smoothed etc.  paint ends up on the part from the stock finishing process.  Most of the paint is removed, but some is left in low spots and here and there.  Then patina solution was used to darken the part.  This was rubbed back and finally applied here and there with a rag to get more of a random appearance.

This all can be done multiple times to create layers and variations in the patina.

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2023, 04:41:24 AM »
Looks great.
How did you finish and age it? With iron nitrate and Bone Black or iron nitrate and tannic acid?

Christian

This was stained with iron nitrate, beat around a bit and darkened primarily with black spray paint.  A little bone black was used as well.  Many would probably be mortified to see the process!  Maybe I’ll do a video one of these days!

Yes please! I'm really curious as to what various guy's aging process looks like, but I don't ask because I figure it is probably a secret technique to some.

I have heard of someone, Frank House?, Dragging the nearly finished rifle down a gravel driveway. I wonder if that is true and what speed is preferred haha

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2023, 05:03:43 PM »
That’s the most appealing finish I’ve seen yet! Keep up the wonderful work!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline wapiti22

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2023, 10:20:59 PM »
When will these be available for purchase?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2023, 10:21:55 PM »
Now! Well, tomorrow when they open.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline stan57

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2023, 03:39:35 PM »
I notice the beavertails were not relieved, simply left in line form. Are there surviving originals with this technique that I can study? Innocent respectful novice question.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2023, 12:00:34 AM »
Jim,
That is a beautiful job! A video that covers the technique would be helpful to all. We can never learn enough new and different techniques for finishing. My idea is never do any two projects the same way but mix and match different styles and techniques to get variation in your work. Thanks and look forward to a video sometime soon on this style of finishing. Don’t let anyone kid you about using a little black paint because Mike Brooks introduced that idea years ago when he did his build tutorial and it still looks good. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
elkhorne