Author Topic: Magnum lead shot vs. regular lead shot  (Read 944 times)

Offline Maurice

Magnum lead shot vs. regular lead shot
« on: July 21, 2023, 03:23:52 AM »
     Just bought a bag of #6 magnum lead shot for my soon to be completed 20-gauge flintlock fowler. I did not know that there was a difference between magnum shot (harder) and regular lead shot (softer) until I read a couple of posts.

For those who have experience with both shot types, is one preferable over the other? Any consequences to the gun barrel with the harder shot? Or is the difference insignificant? I do not have any experience shooting a flintlock fowler.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Magnum lead shot vs. regular lead shot
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 02:25:13 PM »
You'll shoot tighter patterns with magnum shot. Less deformation.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 11:57:35 PM »
 Don’t tell’s that Mike. All the good deals on that nasty hard shot will dry up.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 12:50:48 AM »
Go plated if you want really nice patterns. Heck, I can't afford a bag of shot anymore!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 03:07:31 PM »
Ive shot regular, magnum and the copper plated an just like Mike says you will get a tad better pattern with the harder and plated shot. I have not seen any negative results using the harder shot such as scaring the barrel. My smoothbore barrels are like mirrors inside after cleaning
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Prairie dog shooter

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 03:17:19 AM »
And the plated shot will not pull feathers into the meat as much as soft shot.