Author Topic: Gunmakers Fair judging question  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Kevin Houlihan

Gunmakers Fair judging question
« on: July 08, 2023, 12:16:27 AM »
  I'm planning to enter a gun for judging this year.  What are the differences between the Traditional and Contemporary categories?  I looked on the Fair website and couldn't find anything.
 Thanks ahead of time!
Kevin

Offline john bohan

Re: Gunmakers Fair judging question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 12:28:38 AM »
The year I entered they changed my classification, so don't worry they'll put you in the correct place, to my suprise I got a second place. Good luck.

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 01:35:19 AM »
Kevin,
That's a great question and many people, myself included have asked the same thing. My suggestion is that if you tried to replicate the form and design of antique arms, you should enter the traditional category. However, if you made significant creative changes, and took much artistic license, then you should consider entering the contemporary category. But as was said, don't sweat it.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 02:50:18 AM »
... tried to replicate the form and design of antique arms, you should enter the traditional category...

Randall,
 I think I tried to copy the form of antique arms.  We'll see what the judges say  ;)
I did do research, and I think if someone did a google image search for "flintlock coat pistol" and my pistol showed up, it wouldn't look out of place.  I figured that the Contemporary category would give me more leeway, but I'll probably enter it in the Traditional class.
Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 04:28:29 PM »
If I ever made a gun and entered it and did NOT take last place it would get ugly and quickly. ;D ;D.
Same way in shooting.If I win,that's fine,if not I could not care less.The only thing that got my shirt in
a knot concerning muzzle loaders was and is people who think all of us who devote a lifetime to doing good
work ought to sell it for the price of an old Spanish import. I keep  a sprig of mistletoe hanging from my center
rear belt loop for those folks. >:(.
Bob Roller

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 04:59:08 PM »
I don't know what the rules are at Kempton, but years ago at Dixon's, if you intered a rifle in the traditional class, it basically needed to be a bench copy.  If it was not a recognizable bench copy, you needed to supply documentation justifying the authenticity of what you built.  Also back in the Dixon era you, got a critique sheet pointing out what needed to be improved.  The ribbons awarded were a popularity vote by the judged.  Disclaimer, I never judged the rifle entries but I did participate as an accouterments judge for a couple of years.  It was a most rewarding opportunity, but being a judge consumed most of my Friday and Saturday so I missed out on seeing a lot of the vendors tables and sitting in the seminars.
David

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 06:14:04 PM »
David,
 Thanks.  My pistol certainly isn't a recognizable copy of a specific piece. Rather, it fits loosely into a type of gun being built in the early 19th century, most commonly in England.  Contemporary would probably be best, which is the way I was sort of leaning when I asked the question.
Thanks again,
Kevin   

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 02:06:08 AM »
I don't know what the rules are at Kempton, but years ago at Dixon's, if you intered a rifle in the traditional class, it basically needed to be a bench copy.  If it was not a recognizable bench copy, you needed to supply documentation justifying the authenticity of what you built.  Also back in the Dixon era you, got a critique sheet pointing out what needed to be improved.  The ribbons awarded were a popularity vote by the judged.  Disclaimer, I never judged the rifle entries but I did participate as an accouterments judge for a couple of years.  It was a most rewarding opportunity, but being a judge consumed most of my Friday and Saturday so I missed out on seeing a lot of the vendors tables and sitting in the seminars.
David
I believe the rules are still pretty much the same as David Rase outlined above.  Also, IMO if you are going to enter something in the traditional category, you really need to pay attention to the details, i.e - correct sights, ramrod pipes, etc..  and a scraped finish probably wouldn't hurt either.  Stay away from SS touch hole liners, use one of Jim's white lightening liners in carbon steel. 
I honestly believe the top three things you could do to become a better builder is 1) study original work, 2) Look and listen on this forum and 3) enter your work for judging in the fair.  The feed back you will get on your work is invaluable.

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2023, 09:36:31 PM »
Could we get a ruling from the bench?
Asking for advice from the faithful volunteers who serve as judges at Kempton seems like a wise and sound decision. It presents a wonderful opportunity for them to assist us in making an informed choice when participating in the fair's judging process. Picking a category should be a straightforward task, and getting authorized assistance on this matter would benefit both novices and seasoned entrants.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 01:38:28 AM »
Matt Harshbarger, who is one of the judges will be doing a seminar on Friday at 10:30 - "Meet the Kempton Judges".  Might be a good time to get some definitive clarification.

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2023, 11:59:31 PM »
When entering a gun or accoutrement at the Fair we currently have two classes!
Contemporary or Traditional.
Like stated before we do periodically move rifles from one to other so as maker maximize their score.
If you plan to enter a rifle in Traditional Class it doesn’t need to be specifically a bench copy but as close to original maker's school and characteristics common to such, county, region etc.
Contemporary is still in the style of early makers but more lenient as to personal artistic elements!
In keeping with the original Fair’s objectives we have to limit NO futuristic or fantasy guns!
This is a 18th century LongRifle culture event.
As for Kit Guns we work on a Honor system! Those type of guns we can only judge Finish and embellishment work. The new scoring system awards those who try engraving and carving vs points deduction.

mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com