Author Topic: Identifying the father of the gunsmith Peter White  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
Identifying the father of the gunsmith Peter White
« on: June 17, 2023, 02:21:48 PM »
Here's a link to an article on my website that incorporates documentary evidence proving that the gunsmith Peter White was the son of Andrew White of Emmitsburg, Maryland. I don't know how to upload it to this forum. It's in pdf format, so you may need a decent-sized screen to be able to read it. I'm working at putting all relevant manuscript Andrew White estate documents on my website, but it will take some time.
https://korns.org/gunsmiths/Peter-White-1252020/Identifying-the-father-of-the-gunsmith-Peter-White.pdf

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Identifying the father of the gunsmith Peter White
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 04:13:41 PM »
Identifying the father in some situations can be amusing,such as "Do all your children have the same father and the answer is,"I THINK the twins do". ;D. My own situation started in 1907 when a young,single girl,Ida Barton gave birth to  a baby boy.She couldn't afford to keep him and gave him to her brother,Bob Roller and his wife who named him Burl and he became my father after marrying my mother,Erma Taylor.
That's an example of geneology easy to trace.
Bob Roller

Offline onthehillbill

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 04:53:24 AM »
Nice work Lannie!  Thank you.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 08:38:06 AM »
Andrew White was discovered to be Peter’s father several years ago when the Maryland State Archives published the “Book of Descents 1794 - 1837; Abstracts for Frederick/Carroll Counties, Maryland” online.

https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/speccol/sc6000/sc6016/county/frederick/descents.htm

WHITE, ANDREW of Frederick County died intestate (without a will)
He owned a house and lot in Emmitsburg, part of the tract "Carrollsburgh"
He left four children -
..Jacob WHITE
..Barbara w/o Jacob DEHOOF
..Magdalena w/o George WINTERS
..Peter WHITE of Bedford Co, PA

Peter assigned his brother Jacob as his power of attorney.
This action issued 30 Jan 1815, ending date in file 7 Feb 1815.
(Suggest searching land records for this period under Jacob WHITE)

It was also discussed at the KRA meeting last year with the John Armstrong display and seminar.

I find it noteworthy that John Armstrong owned lots #1 & 2 and Andrew White owned lot #4 in Emmitsburg (Shield’s Addition).

https://www.emmitsburg.net/history/maps/emmitsburg_lot_owners.jpg

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 03:06:34 AM »
Not sure how John White fits in but I have an original bill of sale for items purchased by John White from the estate of John Borden. Signed by John White and dated March 23, 1825. I bought a package of photos and this was among them.

Mark

Offline Dietle

• Pennsyltucky native
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 03:47:33 PM »
smokinbuck, thanks for sharing the pictures. Peter White had a gunsmith son named John.