Author Topic: Replacement lock for Spainish Jucars  (Read 961 times)

Offline skratch

• Starting Member
Replacement lock for Spainish Jucars
« on: July 18, 2023, 07:11:24 AM »
I need a flint lock for a Spanish Juncar (spelling?) rifle. Any advice for one that fits
or adaptable to the inlet?
Thanks, John,,,,

Offline Dutch Blacky

Re: Replacement lock for Spainish Jucars
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 07:57:12 AM »
Some Jukar and Dikar locks  were identical, and Ardesa still uses the same locks.

If  you are looking for a repaire  replacement:
Maybe a spanish Ardesa lock would fit.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 01:28:03 PM »
Might be time for a new gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 01:51:52 PM »
May I ask why you need/want a new lock?

My first muzzle loader was a Jukar flintlock, and it was not a very good rifle. I spent a lot of time and not too much money on upgrading it. Got a lot of valuable experience without the risk of screwing up a valuable gun and I am glad for that.

So, if your goal is to become proficient at building or repairing muzzleloaders, go for it.

But if your goal is to end up with a quality, dependable rifle, I would not recommend putting a lot of money and effort into a Jukar. Like Mike said, it might be time for an upgrade.

I know others on the board have had better luck with Jukars, so this is just my opinion base on my experiences and not gospel by any means.

Dale H

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 03:46:31 PM »
L&R makes them, try Track, very expensive though
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 06:13:05 PM »
 I own an old Jukar pistol that was given to me years ago. It only has a three digit serial number if you want to know how many years ago I’m talking about. I highly recommend using these guns as test mule to learn gunsmithing. Mine originally had no bridle in the lock, and no fly in the tumbler, but it now has reworked CVA mountain rifle parts in it. It also was an odd length with a metal ramrod, and no nosecap. It now has a wooden ramrod, a soldered on rib, and a hand made ramrod pipe, and my first poured nosecap. It also got a hand rubbed linseed oil finish, which really improved the looks of what I suspect is a birch stock.
 I started out with the plan to just keep working on this gun until I eventually did something unrepairable. I’ve been at it for a lot of years, and now that old gun is kind of special. The barrel on mine is a section of rifle barrel that has a 1 in 48” twist which shoots pretty good if you up the powder charge to what would be a mild rifle charge.

Hungry Horse