Author Topic: South Carolina 'Secession' Rifle  (Read 1819 times)

Offline 5judge

• Starting Member
South Carolina 'Secession' Rifle
« on: July 07, 2023, 04:24:27 AM »
After South Carolina, always fractious, attempted in 1832-33 to nullify U.S. tariff laws and lost, having bumped heads with President Andrew Jackson, the state began to seriously consider augmenting its available weaponry. As a stop-gap, it placed orders for militarized sporting rifles with  Philadelphia gunmaker Tryon in the 1830s and '40s. This is a percussion example. It is an off-the-shelf half-stock .44 caliber sporting rifle militarized by substituting the wooden ramrod for an iron one, adding sling swivels, and turning the muzzle of the octagonal barrel round with a stud to ship an M.1816 bayonet. This one is German silver mounted and has the South Carolina crescent moon scratched twice in the patch box lid. A photograph taken in 1861 of a group of the 1st S.C. Volunteers shows an example leaning against a tent rope, showing some were still issue early in the Civil War.

Offline HSmithTX

Re: South Carolina 'Secession' Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 04:55:05 AM »
Very interesting,  thanks for sharing the story and pictures.  Is this your rifle? 

Offline Gtrubicon

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 05:15:31 AM »
I would love to see pictures of this rifle as a whole rifle.

Offline 5judge

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 06:12:28 AM »

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 05:36:45 PM »
I found a slightly different one, Brass furniture and a flintlock converted to percussion

It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline 5judge

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 08:25:30 PM »
Here's detail of the 1st South Carolina Volunteers' camp in 1861. what appears to be a 'secession rifle' is leaning against a tent rope.

Offline RobertS

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 04:46:42 AM »
Thanks, very interesting and enlightening!

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 03:39:57 PM »
Interesting indeed and very distinctive.  Are many of these known to still exist?

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2023, 05:26:21 PM »
I have a Veterans Reunion Badge, for a Confederate Vet named  W.P. Hunter, Co. B, 1st S.C.
As soon as I get my camera back I will post photos.
I did a little research on him and I believe he rose to rank of Lt. after starting as a Private.
He could be one of those in the photo!

Offline 18thCenturyArms

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2023, 01:16:22 PM »
What you have is what is called a "Country  Rifle" early in the war the confederacy made a call to the civilians to bring in any extra rifles and muskets they had. They were taken to a few Depots and converted to military standards. First was converting flintlock to percussion. Second step Was cutting all barrels to  33-34 inches. They moved the front sight back and turned the muzzle down to accept an 1816 bayonet. They removed the wood ramrods and replaced with metal. Reworked the trigger gaurds and removed set triggers with singles triggers. Added sling swivels, They standardized the calibers and bored them out to either 44 or 54. There was a smith in Tennessee and a CS armory in Holly Springs Mississippi that did these alterations

Offline jbigley

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 05:56:44 PM »
Interesting stuff!! Thanks judge, tooguns, bigmon, and 18thC for posting. I have heard of “country rifles “ but never saw one before these pics. — JB

Offline dadybear1

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2023, 06:07:34 PM »
NICE LOOKING RIFLE---PROBABLY CADILAC IN ITS DAY---THANKS FOR THE HISTORY!!!!!!

Offline 5judge

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2023, 04:30:40 AM »
Am familiar with the Southern militarization of country rifles. All I'm aaware of were cut to approximnately 33" in the barrel, were full-stocked, and rebored to either .50 (early "official" North Carolina caliber) or .54 caliber. This piece is one resulting from a known series of contracts entered into by South Carolina and Tryon arms company long before the war. Early examples of these were delivered in flint, later, like mine, in percussion. Before the Citadel of Charleston sanitized its museum they displayed a deluxe silver-mounted example engraved on the patchbox to the then-governor of South Carolina, probably to induce him to favor the contract (something for which Colt was famous). You'll note the photo above of the South Carolina troops with one illustrated, taken in May of 1861, as I recall, within weeks of the war's start and long before the Confederacy began converting country rifles.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2023, 06:15:51 AM »
Didn't know wether to start a new thread or not.  But since the theme of this post was a S.Carolina CW rifle I figured I'd just add this photo.
I picked this Confederate Reunion Badge up at a gun show recently.  From a Vet in the FIRST SOUTH CAROLINA!!  He could be one of those guys in your photo??!!

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2023, 09:48:56 PM »
WOW!!  I can't believe there are no decendants of old Rebs out there that would appreciate this reunion badge.  It is a rare one, especially for the cash strapped confederate veterans.  This is cast brass and was nickle plated and I think a gold wash.  And it has the actual vets name on it.  Most all, even union ones only said "REUNION".
I have found some history on this veteran.  So far I know he was at Antietam and survived the war.  Obviously, as he was at reunions!
I apologize if this is too late for our era of black powder.  I just added this because of the rifle.