Author Topic: Anthony Milliron  (Read 3475 times)

Offline louieparker

Anthony Milliron
« on: January 02, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Has anyone seen the work of Anthony Milliron ? He is in the tax list of Indiana County Pa..in 1805-1806..  Louie Parker

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Anthony Milliron
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:21:13 AM »
I have seen 1 very plain very western pa looking rifle signed A M. It was auctioned when Joe Mccrea passed away this year.  I believe it was his work. Why do you ask?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:24:04 AM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:41:10 PM »
I know of an original flint rifle signed in script A. Milliron ... I am only assuming its Anthony..  He is the only A, that I could find listed..This rifle is far from a plain Western Pa. styled rifle.  Looks Southern, with a long hand forged bbl.. I was hoping someone had seen other guns by him. If so I would appreciate hearing about them....Louie

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »
Louie,  I can't recall if it had originally been flint or not.  If you post the signature, I remember what
the A M looked like and could tell you if they were the same.  Sounds like you came across a much
nicer example.   The Milliron family is still in the area.  I'm thinking their early ancestor was given
a rev war land grant in our area or was just an early settler.  The period you mention is early for
the area. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:29:40 PM »
In hunting info on the Millirons, I came across this piece of interesting local history:

"The pioneer settler in what is now Perry township was John Bell.
He erected his cabin there in 1809. His nearest neighbor was nine
miles distant, in Indiana County, and the Barnetts were the nearest on
the north side. Bell came from Indiana Town. He died on the igih of
May, 1855, in his eighty-sixth year. He was an intelligent, industrious
farmer, a justice of the peace, appointed in 1818 by Governor Findley,
and held this office for twenty-five years by appointment or election.
Once, while on his way home from Port Barnett, he observed an Indian
taking aim at him with his rifle from behind a tree. Mr. Bell said in his
lifetime, "That Indian was never seen afterwards." Mr. John Bell was
a great hunter, during his life in Jefferson County he killed two panthers,
ninety-three wolves, three hundred and six bears, and over six hundred
deer.

The next settler in Perry was Archibald Hadden. He came from
Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, in 1810, and settled near Mr. John
Bell. In 1812, Hugh McKee, a soldier of this war, settled near Perrys-
ville. John Postlethwait came in 1818, Reuben Hickox in 1822.

Reuben Hickox's hunting exploits alone would make a book. He,

in three days, caught six bears, and in the early part of the season, in
less than three months, secured over fifty of the "bruin" family. He
trapped and hunted principally for bears and wolves. Wild cats were
numerous, and often got into his traps, but he cared naught for them,
Perry township. as their fur was valueless, only bringing in the market ten cents apiece.
As for the deer, they formed the major portion of his bill of fare.
Turkeys, wild ducks, etc. , were numerous, and whenever he had a desire
for fowl, his trusty rifle would soon secure an amount far in excess of the
wants of his family.

Offline surfcitytom

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 09:18:02 PM »
There were several branches of Milliron gunmakers that I've encountered while researching my maternal Milliron genealogy. There was John, who died in Hempfield Township in 1808. Brother-in-Law Andrew Barnes carried a rifle to Erie in 1812 that is thought to have been made by this John. However, he was primarily a farmer, as were his descendants - died in 1808. Anthony was also named John. He was one of the first settlers of Saltsburg, where he was possibly involved in powder production with another BIL, Tobias Long. He had a son named John and both were connected to Indiana County, but in a tiny corner more associated with Armstrong and Westmoreland. Anthony died around 1810 - perhaps in a powder explosion, according to an oral tale. He also had a son John that was born in nearby Black Lick and is probably the Indiana County John mentioned here. I've found no mention of him regarding gunmaking, but his brother David is well known as a maker. David moved around a bit and is known to have lived in Ringgold, Smicksburg and Putneyville. He was connected to Schreckengost through marriage. I wouldn't assume that the letter "A' is necessarily Anthony. There were many Abrahams in the general vicinity, and a lot of Millirons were blacksmiths that dabbled in gunmaking, but left no trace as far as we know.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 01:38:35 AM »
Thanks for the addl info.