Author Topic: Blotches after staining  (Read 1185 times)

Offline JasonR

Blotches after staining
« on: October 15, 2023, 05:53:23 AM »
I'm about to strip this pistol stock and start over. I used Kleanwood to prep the stock in the white. Never had a problem with transtint in alcohol for NGR. Applied amber base layer with no problem. The blotches came after the traditional reddish brown was used next. This doesn't make a lot of sense other than random composition of the wood in the spots?  Maroon scotch brite isn't removing them. Or I can pull out my scraper. Has anyone here had this problem and how did you fix it? There are about four of them . Thank you Jason

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Blotches after staining
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 07:56:04 AM »
I realize that a photo sometimes look different than what can be seen firsthand, but I don't see anything that looks like it will be problematic once the oil goes on.  Try wetting the stock with alcohol or water and see what it looks like while wet, it will be similar to the oiled appearance.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 04:27:38 PM »
Just looks like curly maple to me.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 06:04:44 PM »
Yep, normal for curly maple and it will be quite attractive one you apply the finish.

Offline JasonR

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 02:35:20 AM »
Rubbing alcohol removed the blotches and evened out the stain. I decided to burnish again, which mellowed the stain nicely and also helped me fix some minor shaping issues hidden while in the white. I applied Permalyn sealer and do not see those blotches. Very please how re-burnishing with a scrap dowel helped.

Will apply a few layers of finish and wax over next week or so.

Thanks for the feedback

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 11:17:06 AM »
I don't see any blotches in the first photos. Could you post some pics taken of the exact same spots to show the difference?.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 08:03:37 PM »
I think I see what the OP is talking about. Darker lines, irregular, that most likely would have disappeared with finish applied.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 08:06:03 PM »
Can probably be blended back or totally removed with some scotchbrite and elbow grease.
Stop Marxism in America