Author Topic: barrel and breech id?...maybe  (Read 1081 times)

Online Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
barrel and breech id?...maybe
« on: October 17, 2023, 05:14:21 PM »
I picked these up at a few months back. Even though I didn't need them, the price was right so I couldn't pass them up.
The barrel is 1" straight octagonal 31 1/2" long, 50 caliber. There are six nearly equal lands and grooves with an estimated twist of 1-60 maybe 70.
The hooked breech that came with it is a proper Hawken style with the flash channel drilled directly from the bottom of the power chamber to just below the nipple. The breech and barrel have never been fitted nor ever in a stock. Oh yes, I almost forgot, both are threaded 5/8-18 and no markings whatsoever. All this is no big deal as I was just curious of other's thoughts mainly because I can't remember any commercial barrels with six grooves. Any insight would be appreciated and thanks for looking.

Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Daryl

Re: barrel and breech id?...maybe
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 01:53:58 AM »
Looks like an old GRRW barrel to me- very similar to my 14 bore. To me and my monitor, the grooves appear just slightly wider than the lands,
evident at the 6 o'clock and 5:30 o'clock position on your barrel. Either that or your barrel might be an early GM barrel, especially if it has a 70" ROT.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 01:58:10 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 11:09:46 PM »
Mark Dehass made 4 barrels for me years ago with 6 nearly equal lands and groves.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 01:29:24 AM »
It's a shot in the dark, really. Much depends on the rifling head and how it fits the exact bore size.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 05:01:43 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts. Not that it matters who made them but both the breech plug and barrel seem quality made and would be perfect for a somewhat hawken like build.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 05:26:14 PM »
The 1803 barrel is made with 6 lands and grooves. I do believe Colerain makes those.
Psalms 144