Author Topic: North Carolina swiveling patch box  (Read 863 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

North Carolina swiveling patch box
« on: April 10, 2024, 07:32:29 PM »
 I’ve seen a few of these patch boxes, but have not seen any details on how the latch works. Can somebody show me some pictures, or drawings, to help me out.

Hungry Horse

Offline Frozen Run

Offline Kevin Houlihan

Re: North Carolina swiveling patch box
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 12:28:56 AM »
HH - I added a swivel lid to my Kibler SMR.  The latch sits in a stopped groove as deep as the latch is thick.  It's mild steel and burned in and then driven into the underside of the lid.  There is a corresponding notch in the butt plate.  My lid swivels up toward the comb and the latch rides on the edge of the butt plate and doesn't scratch the wood.

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 02:53:16 AM »
Here’s another with two cavities.

Spring catch is made from a recoil starter spring (just like the old timers used ;D) with the button that engages the notch in the butt plate attached to the spring with two tiny rivets. It’s held up for a good number of years & still catches with a nice ‘click’. I left the end of the lid with the wood exposed, no end plate.

Ted K

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 03:18:58 AM »
Clever, these Americans 😉

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 04:35:25 PM »
The great Don Bruton is a master at the Deep River swivel patchbox lids.  Perhaps he will weigh in.
Bob Hill pointed out some to me that have a simple tack in the stock on the toe side below the patchbox.  It acts as a stop. I am thinking friction from correct screw tension does the rest.  God bless, Marc