Author Topic: Tell me about this powder can?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Prairie dog shooter

Tell me about this powder can?
« on: October 05, 2023, 06:04:28 PM »
Can anyone tell me about this powder can?  Unopened, price tag $3.35 

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Tell me about this powder can?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 02:49:14 AM »
Some of the best powder ever but not popular here,I think t was made in Scotland and was a cleaner shooting powder than DuPont or King's.I have a can of it but I have opened it.
Bob Roller

Online Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 03:07:29 AM »
That is a later can than the ones Taylor and I bought back in the 50's and early 60's. I'd place that one with the screw top at about 1974 or later.
Burnt a lot of it back in the 70's. I recall, by 1976, I'd burnt close to 100 pounds of BP, 300 pounds of lead. Of course, we were using 1/2 pound in the 3" cannot, too.
According to Lyman's Black Powder Handbook, it was low in power compared to GO and the later GOEX. This was quite evident in the .58 calibre loads.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 08:02:35 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 06:02:50 PM »
The last production C&H was made in a blasting powder plant is Scotland (according the Bill Knight) and was probably the worst BP sold in the US, at least in the late 20th c., though some lots or Elephant were bad too.  The GOOD C&H was without peer, their “Diamond Grain” was top of line in the late 19thc, early 20th, but it went away (I think) due to the Spanish Civil War in the late 1920s/early30s when the supply if the wood they used for the charcoal was cut off. As stated the final production was in their blasting powder plant and it was suspected it was contaminated with sodium nitrate which is fine in blasting powder but poison for a propellant powder.  OR they were grinding it to blasting powder specification. Anyway it was slow and low pressure compared to G-O (Gerhart-Owen pre-GOEX) in my mid-1970s Lyman Blackpowder Handbook.  Dunno about its consistency and I never shot any of it.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 07:55:49 PM »
Back then, we shot what we could get locally. C&H, then Meteor (Scotland) were mostly, used, but GO and Dupont was also available, then GOEX. Talking 70's to 80's here.
We shot quite well with it.
Even with slugs. That was when I had the 38" twist Bauska barrel on a stock & with apertures, was shooting inch 5-shot groups at 100yards off bags. Not further, though.

In around '75, Taylor and I used to launch round balls at a 14" white rock sticking out of black dirt on the "face" of the Chief(mountain woth an almost straight wall up and down).
The actual range to the rock was 325yards, according to my long, rangefinder. We hit it more often than not, even with my wife's .36 Seneca, but shooting the 128gr. Maxiballs.
I guess we didn't realize a round ball gun couldn't shoot that far.  ;D
Daryl

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 12:06:10 AM »
I have an old can of Black 3F labeled Hodgdon but made in Scotland. If we ever devise a dirtiest powder contest, I will definitely be putting it in the competition.

Online Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 01:23:59 AM »
Smooth crown with no sharp 45 degree corners, tight patch, good lube, no problem since I discovered that SECRET.
No powder was dirtier than the other. They all shot cleanly for us.
Daryl

Offline Prairie dog shooter

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 02:09:58 AM »
Thank you for the responses. 
The cap is a non-screw on cap.  I don't plan to open it. 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 08:30:30 PM »
I have been wondering about round ball shooting and using a 45 caliber ball just how far will this ball go with accuracy.Is 250 yards a stretch and has anyone used a telescopic sight.I did with a 58 caliber but used a hollow base bullet @ 399 yards.I know that wind has to be factored in if it's there.I shot Tom Dawson's Modena copy @ 130 yards offhand and it was a 3 shot match.I got 3rd place with a ball.It  was supposed to be for Hawken type guns but the man that won used a common long rifle that was a 45.
Bob Roller

Online Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 09:36:27 PM »
Thank you for the responses. 
The cap is a non-screw on cap.  I don't plan to open it.

I remember those, crimped-plastic snap-on, snap-off form the 70's. The cans from the 50's and earlier 60's had a black rubber 'stopper' you pulled up to
pour out powder from the hollow "stopper". then pushed it down to seal.
I'd probably shoot the powder and save the can.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Finest Đ¡asual Dating - Verified Women
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 01:28:49 PM »
I like the older cans better than the new ones. Safety aside of course.