Author Topic: Time period for Late Ketland?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Time period for Late Ketland?
« on: November 05, 2023, 12:11:23 AM »
Hey guys.
I know it is a later period lock, but what would the appropriate time period be for the Chamber's Late Ketland lock?
Thanks

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Re: Time period for Late Ketland?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 07:27:16 PM »
An uneducated guess,, but maybe 1820ish?
Galations 2:20

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 08:40:39 PM »
I also think early 1800, according kiblers SMR
Hawkeye

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 08:49:48 PM »
An uneducated guess,, but maybe 1820ish?
In that range. By the 1830s rounded lock plate tails were in vogue.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Kevin

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 11:27:49 PM »
"By 1800 the style of lock being produced by the Ketlands had changed to this later form."

This is per Mr. Chamber's website description of their late Ketland lock:  https://www.flintlocks.com/locks.htm#L-16

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 03:05:12 AM »
Hi,
It represents the period 1790s-1820s.  Keep in mind that it is modeled after export locks not high end British for the period.  For that it would need a stirrup in the tumbler and a guttered or "rainproof" pan.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 04:00:56 AM »
The Ketlands that I made were nothing like the Chambers or the Kibler and had a big pan with drains and a reenforced cockl
I have a set of new parts with a brass plate and never made a lock because I thought the slamming of the cock would damage
the plate.The steel plate versions were real performers and when offered for the "Flint Hawken"they were mostly rejected so
most of them went to Germany for a Schweizer Feldstutzen /54 caliber.Swiss carbine.The Chambers and Kiblers are better looking
locks.The last one I made went on a cobbled up 58 caliber walnut fullstock with steel trim and was as fast as any caplock and I
wish I had kept it.
Bob Roller

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 12:30:36 AM »
The Ketlands that I made were nothing like the Chambers or the Kibler and had a big pan with drains and a reenforced cockl
I have a set of new parts with a brass plate and never made a lock because I thought the slamming of the cock would damage
the plate.The steel plate versions were real performers and when offered for the "Flint Hawken"they were mostly rejected so
most of them went to Germany for a Schweizer Feldstutzen /54 caliber.Swiss carbine.The Chambers and Kiblers are better looking
locks.The last one I made went on a cobbled up 58 caliber walnut fullstock with steel trim and was as fast as any caplock and I
wish I had kept it.
Bob Roller

Have you considered sending these new parts you still have to Kibler or Chris Evrard to be turned into a current lock offering?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 11:24:50 PM »
These parts and the moulds for them are now owned by Log Cabin Shop in Lodi,Ohio and if anyone is interested they can call Liza and inquire about them.They came from the business once owned by Jerry Devaudreuil in Wooster,Ohio and as far as I know I was the only one that ever bought those parts. These locks with a good mechanism are real performers and if Mr.Evrard wants them the cost of postage is all I need.I will never use them and maybe Log Cabin will sell the moulds.I do not know if any internal parts were cast for these locks or not and never thought about it.MAYBE someone on this forum has a rifle with one of these locks.I made a good number of these but as I said,our makers were not interested and almost all of them went to Germany and the German speaking part of Switzerland.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 11:28:19 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 07:11:43 PM »
Bob Roller, I just set you a private message.
John
John Robbins