Author Topic: Best type of 1/16" drill bit???  (Read 1438 times)

Online Justin Urbantas

Best type of 1/16" drill bit???
« on: October 30, 2023, 07:09:44 PM »
What would you guys suggest as the best type/brand of 1/16" drill bit for drilling holes for pinning barrels,  thimbles etc? Something that cuts well, lasts and won't snap off in a hole. Thanks

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Best type of 1/16" drill bit???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 07:36:12 PM »
Stay away from the big box stores and buy from an industrial supply house.  I buy all my drill bits and taps from a place here in Washington called Tacoma Screw.  I am sure McMaster Carr and places like that have what you need.  Most industrial supply houses stock cheap Chinese junk as well as quality name brand items so be aware. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 07:38:05 PM »
Justin< I buy mine from a local tool supply store in bulk packages.  It's a fool's errand to try to use a worn out drill bit to do precision work.  Also, high speed and slow feed is important.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 07:38:30 PM »
Any decent brand of HSS will be fine.  Cleveland, Chicago Latrobe etc. work well.  Most breakage comes from not spinning fast enough and the impact when breaking through a hole in metal.  It's good to be a little more gentle with the pressure or feed when you expect to break through.  Cleaning packed flutes often is also a big help.

Offline JLayne

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 08:06:18 PM »
I’ve broken so many cheap 1/16 “ bits that I now buy them in packs of 12 and just drill one hole with each and throw them out as I go. There’s a broken one serving as the pin that holds the rear ramrod thimble in place on my first Chambers kit from a few years back. It was just easier to leave it where it broke off rather than try and get it out and maybe cause a bigger problem.

Jay

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 08:33:42 PM »
Jim's and Dave's advice is spot on. I buy my small drills in 6 or 12 packs. They are cheap to buy so why not get more than a few at a time. HSS is all you will need.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 11:51:45 PM »
 When drilling through wood and then a tab I find it easier to drill through the wood marking the tab, remove it, drill through the tab, put it back and finish. Unless you have a centering jig like David used to make your hole on the other side usually is less than parallel or opposite the starting hole. A spot of oil doesn't hurt either.

Tim C.

Online Justin Urbantas

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 02:07:26 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll stock up at the industrial supply place in town.
I do have one of the point to point drilling jigs.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 04:33:18 PM »
Justin,
all your bust drills make good pins, LOL!

I like the hex shank.   

Online Justin Urbantas

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 09:15:00 PM »
Haha as long as you never have to remove them.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2023, 04:57:04 PM »
Take Dave and Jim’s advice. HSS only and don’t be afraid to crank up the RPM. Cleveland drills are really good. I use screw machine or stub length drills. They are shorter and stiffer. There really should be no visible runout on the drill when held in the chuck. The trick if there is one to getting a deep hole to be straight is to make sure the first part or about 3 diameters of the drill is started properly. Center punch and use a center drill. For small drills the part should be clamped down so they can not wander even a little bit. Most machines won’t spin fast enough for the recommended RPM in steel 1/16 inch HSS, 8,000 RPM. Use lubricant and peck drill that way you will clear the chips often. Chips are the major cause, after running too slow, of broken drills and drifting holes. Don’t let the drill dwell in the bottom of the hole, it will dull it and if you are drilling tool steel it will harden the steel st that spot and there is a possibility that you will not be able to continue drilling unless you have a carbide drill. So always take a chip and slow down your feed when you’re starting to break through the metal. Another thought. Drills tend to cut oversized hole. One reason is the point is ground uneven making the small chisel point off to one side, another reason to buy quality drill bits.
Hope this helps.
CheersRichard

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 01:53:02 AM »
Listen to flatsguide. Technique matters a lot more than the brand. Use lube when drilling through metal. And use a drill press.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 09:05:12 PM »
  Lot of good advice. I've broken a few to until I got smart ( ? ) I drill through to pipe enough to mark it. Back the drill out by not pulling it out. Then remove pipe and then finish drilling. I use a hand drill and to me it works very well.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 11:16:11 PM »
I use #49 bits I buy in packs of 12 from MSC and use finish nails for pins. I also use a drill press and go slow withdrawing to clear chips a number of times. The only time I break a bit is when I use a hand drill. I also mark and drill all forend pins while the stock is still squared and punch a starter hole with a nailset.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson