Author Topic: new videos  (Read 1564 times)

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
new videos
« on: August 10, 2024, 09:40:31 PM »

Offline Steeltrap

Re: new videos
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2024, 02:40:57 PM »
I watch your videos. Very informative and helpful

I do have one question though…..I notice you wear a fairly substantial ring on your index finger. Don’t you ever get concerned that it may get caught when working around machinery?

Not trying to give you advice or anything, but just coming from a place way back in time when I worked in a machine shop.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2024, 05:05:51 PM »
I'm sure you're right.  I never have worn a ring until about a month ago and this never occurred to me.  I remember hearing about the danger in the past, but it never came to mind.

This is an Oura ring that monitors various things about your body.  Katherine had one and wanted me to try one as well.  I think it helps to become more aware about how you're doing and then you can adjust things to help have a better day and be more productive.  Kind of neat...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2024, 01:35:04 AM »
Ring story; I was a helicopter crewchief in the Army, one day I was changing out the engine on a Huey, being young and spry I jumped off the engine deck, I was facing the chopper as I went to the ground to the ground. My wedding ring caught on the engine cowling on my way down. When I hit the ground I could just barely touch the concrete with my tippy toes, just enough to keep me from having 3 fingers on my left hand. My finger was deeply cut but was still attached. I quit wearing my wedding ring at work from then on. 

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2024, 09:28:54 PM »
At my first job in the late 60's I had a supervisor that was in the army reserves, and he told a story that when he was on an exercise he was jumping out of a jeep and caught his wedding ring on something and almost ripped his finger off.
During my employment with an aerospace company, we were told that we either had to wrap our rings with Kapton tape to prevents electrical shorting/sparks or remove them altogether to prevent any possibilities of shorting out any electrical components / equipment that we may come in contact with. I took mine off and would forget to put it back on - the wife did not understand and would get upset when I came home without it on.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2024, 07:50:20 PM »
Rings, eh.
I had an 82# longbow made of yew and fiberglass that kicked so hard in the hand, I had to remove my new wedding band to shoot it.
1st shot with the band on my ring finger cut into the joint. That took a long time to heal during which time I retillered it.
For that I used Taylor's belt sander, grinding glass thickness and width while at the same time reducing it's length to 64" from 72".
The draw weight was reduced to 64# and even produced a higher vel. than the bow did originally at 82# & with virtually zero hand shock.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2024, 10:53:24 PM »
I enjoyed the video on fitting the butt plate. Now I see how an expert does it. Learned something today! ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline john bohan

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2024, 12:10:30 AM »
Eric the same thing happend to my friend in Nam, his ring finger caught in one of the footholds when he was coming down,they had to cut the ring off.

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2024, 01:37:27 AM »
Jim,

I love how you fit that buttplate in less than 15 minutes. You have done an amazing job melding and abapting modern machining technology with the fine handcrafted 18th century designs.

Great videography too! Capturing that type of work so that you can actually understand what is going on is quite a skill. Kudos!

What kind of vise is that by the way? A Modified Versa-Vise? The moving jaw is different.

(The ring sure was a squirrel)

Thanks for posting.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 01:57:40 AM by Mattox Forge »

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2024, 04:10:03 PM »
Ring story; I was a helicopter crewchief in the Army, one day I was changing out the engine on a Huey, being young and spry I jumped off the engine deck, I was facing the chopper as I went to the ground to the ground. My wedding ring caught on the engine cowling on my way down. When I hit the ground I could just barely touch the concrete with my tippy toes, just enough to keep me from having 3 fingers on my left hand. My finger was deeply cut but was still attached. I quit wearing my wedding ring at work from then on.
I had a similar thing happen to me changing the aft transmission filter on a Chinook in Vietnam.  Reaching up to reach it(I'm only 5'5")I slipped on hydraulic fluid on the floor while I had a wrench on a bolt. I snapped off the head of the bolt and caught my ring finger on on the raw end. Did a nice skinning job on it. Not a wedding ring though. I was way to young to even think about being married.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2024, 05:16:48 PM »
I got careless on my first leave after Ft Rucker so I was a 19-year-old with an 18-year-old expecting girlfriend and was shortly married, this was 1967.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2024, 10:16:44 PM »
Here's another if you've not seen it yet...