Author Topic: Mike Miller lock  (Read 2718 times)

Offline sdilts

Mike Miller lock
« on: October 18, 2023, 02:31:23 AM »
At the CLA show this year, I saw the new Mike Miller designed lock that Buck Ridge Flintlocks is producing. I was wondering if anyone has used one yet and how it performed.

Offline J Shingler

Re: Mike Miller lock
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 06:08:18 PM »
I bought one at Spring Friendship. I have not got it in a rifle yet but I have played with it on the bench. Sparking it a bunch of times. I am impressed so far. It is set for the the next rifle after this VA rifle that is on the bench now. So no real world help yet, but so far impressed.

Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 06:40:52 PM »
Nothing personal to anyone but that does not look much like a period lock.  It kind of looks like a Chambers ketland with an abbreviated tail section and a modified deluxe siler cock on it.  And a somewhat lumpy one at that (at least going by the picture on the website).

My YUGE issue with most commercial locks is that people put all this valuable time into designing them for production but they never really look like old locks.  I don't get it.  Great function is great, that's half the battle and of course exceptionally important.  The other half should be design to match antiques.

Flame away.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 07:15:32 PM »
Eric,

The reason you have this issue with lock design and very few others do is that you understand.  The vast majority don't and stylistic details make no difference.  Been the case since the revival of these things and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Jim

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 08:36:35 PM »
Nothing personal to anyone but that does not look much like a period lock.  It kind of looks like a Chambers ketland with an abbreviated tail section and a modified deluxe siler cock on it.  And a somewhat lumpy one at that (at least going by the picture on the website).

My YUGE issue with most commercial locks is that people put all this valuable time into designing them for production but they never really look like old locks.  I don't get it.  Great function is great, that's half the battle and of course exceptionally important.  The other half should be design to match antiques.

Flame away.

Production expedients are the rule.Get it done and out the door,fast.I used to get almost constant requests for new mainsprings  for production locks that failed with catastrophic results such as the lock mortise being knocked out.I had my hands full and could not be
of help.The lock shown this morning that was used for the Clark lock is a beautiful lock and I used the L&R version,Durs Egg on a lot
of new locks.The chances of me reviving lock making is very low but I have never been a major maker of any style of locks.Little loss
there.
Bob Roller

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 08:48:33 PM »

Flame away.

Production expedients are the rule.Get it done and out the door,fast.I used to get almost constant requests for new mainsprings  for production locks that failed with catastrophic results such as the lock mortise being knocked out.I had my hands full and could not be
of help.The lock shown this morning that was used for the Clark lock is a beautiful lock and I used the L&R version,Durs Egg on a lot
of new locks.The chances of me reviving lock making is very low but I have never been a major maker of any style of locks.Little loss
there.
Bob Roller

I do not believe that profits or your term “expedence” are driving factors for either LC or Liston Rice. Both are retired and don’t really need the little financial gains from making high quality products. They, like many of us are driven by their passion for producing the best product available.
 Bob, we all know that you’re not making locks anymore. We get reminded of this very regularly.
 Eric, I see and understand your point! One must however remember that our sport also involves the Contemporary side of gun making. There are a bunch of really great flintlock rifles being made these days that bear no major resemblance to the work being done in the 18th and 19th centuries.
 Let us please be fair with these locks and let the quality speak.
W
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 09:28:54 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 09:05:32 PM »
Anyone have a picture?

Edited to add: missed the reference to a website. Here is the link: https://www.buckridgeflintlocks.com/product-page/mike-miller-late-english-ketland
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 09:26:44 PM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 11:31:15 PM »
Nice looking lock and really simple mechanism.One picture IS worth a thousand words. ;D.
I still get calls about making locks and this forum is my only wide area of informing.
Bob Roller

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 01:01:47 PM »
I ordered one when I first saw it and handled it. Slick as a whistle. I guess I should have waited until y’all had time to decide if you liked it. We haven’t had time to use it ,but I sure look forward to it. With all the fine locks we have available to us today there is room for another. Enjoy this fine lock. I am sure
I will.
Bob
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 02:48:18 AM by BOB HILL »
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2023, 05:08:20 PM »
Here are a few pictures of the one I purchased at Spring Friendship. Mike Miller made the masters and Rice built it.  I think it will go nicely on a slim Iron mounted 40 cal that I have planned. I think it is a nice styled slim simple lock. It sparks wonderfully. I am no expert on originals by any stretch, but it is a simple enough design that is seems to fit the early 1800 that Mike told me they were goin for in this lock. The sample gun in Mike's booth using this lock certainly looked good to me.

Thank you
Jeff

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 06:30:12 PM »
It probably works as well or better than export locks of the period. I think we ca lose context sometimes. It may not be suited as is for a contemporary medium to high end English fowler or rifle, but I’m guessing if you compare it’s action to this lock it would come out even or ahead.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 08:53:10 PM »
Lose context in what manner?  Serious question.  I've not seen one function, so I'm making no comments whatsoever about the function.  It could be the finest functioning lock on the planet for all I know.  That's not in any way what my comments were targeting.  I'm viewing it from the perspective of aesthetics; I do not find it aesthetically pleasing in any conceivable way.  I am also admittedly very traditional and very picky.  Annoyingly so.  To my eye, it just plain does not look like a realistically old lock.  Even on imaginary 'contemporary' pieces, most tend to gravitate toward locks that actually look like old locks even if the remainder of the gun is much more imaginative.  As the saying goes, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Rich I find the antique lock you just posted to look about 500% more attractive than this modern lock.  Again - not commenting on function at all.  Probably most modern locks are well over on the positive side of the bell curve relative to function - and particularly long term function due to improved metallurgy - in comparison to antique locks used here in the 18th and early 19th century.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2023, 09:33:35 PM »
Here is a picture of Mike Miller's rifle from the display at Kempton Gun Fair this year. Just to show one in a finished rifle.

Thank you
Jeff

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2023, 12:01:55 AM »
Lose context in what manner?  Serious question.  I've not seen one function, so I'm making no comments whatsoever about the function.  It could be the finest functioning lock on the planet for all I know.  That's not in any way what my comments were targeting.  I'm viewing it from the perspective of aesthetics; I do not find it aesthetically pleasing in any conceivable way.  I am also admittedly very traditional and very picky.  Annoyingly so.  To my eye, it just plain does not look like a realistically old lock.  Even on imaginary 'contemporary' pieces, most tend to gravitate toward locks that actually look like old locks even if the remainder of the gun is much more imaginative.  As the saying goes, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Rich I find the antique lock you just posted to look about 500% more attractive than this modern lock.  Again - not commenting on function at all.  Probably most modern locks are well over on the positive side of the bell curve relative to function - and particularly long term function due to improved metallurgy - in comparison to antique locks used here in the 18th and early 19th century.

I get it, Eric. I was remembering or mis-remembering critiques on its function. If this is the so-called Nock lock. Wouldn’t surprise me if I’m confused!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2023, 01:13:58 AM »

Flame away.

Hey buddy I have seen a production lock coming soon that is a total beauty—in design and functionality
Paying homage to one of the Masters of the Pennsylvania Long Rifle Tradition, as well as the contemporary. It’s a tried and true beautiful lock. It’s been on a hiatus but it’s making a comeback.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 01:26:46 AM by Jdbeck »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2023, 01:49:06 AM »
Now THAT is a good looking lock.  Looks like one of Jack Brooks' projects.  He's made castings of a couple of really nice locks.  Might I guess it's based upon a Beck lock?  Beck seemed to use locks that were slightly proportionately smaller than one might expect but everything seemed to 'work.' 

I know Chris Laubach has some really awesome projects in mind too, and CNC to boot which is just double icing on the cake.

I like this lock a lot although not the tumbler screw and the jaw screw needs a bit... more, of something.  As I said I'm annoyingly picky.  But this is what the Siler lock should have been.  I spend a lot of time trying to file down those blocky Siler pans to look more like this one in profile without cutting into the plate/pan cavity.  This is a really nice lock.

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2023, 02:26:29 AM »
Comming from me it’s pretty evident it was Lebonon related 🤣.

It’s the Ditchburn—JP Beck lock that was built by Stan Hollenbaugh for many years used for reconversions and replacements for originals.

Chris Evrard is bringing it back via CNC!

I have one of Jack Brooks Locks btw— Phenomenal little piece going on my current build “sadly they are not cheap”.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 02:35:08 AM by Jdbeck »

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2023, 01:39:28 AM »
Why does that new lock remind me of the Ketland lock imported by the government in the mid 1790s for military contract muskets, only smaller.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 01:46:29 AM by Clark Badgett »
Psalms 144

Offline sdilts

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2023, 03:28:59 AM »
I had the pleasure of talking with Liston Rice on Saturday. I mentioned that I had posted a topic here looking for feedback on his new Mike Miller lock. Liston isn't a computer guy, so he asked if I would convey his appreciation to everyone that commented on it. He welcomes any and all feedback on his products.

This is a nice looking lock. The one I examined was really smooth and threw a shower of sparks. I will be using one in the near future.