Author Topic: Rifle restoration project  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Sudsy

• Starting Member
Rifle restoration project
« on: October 31, 2023, 08:51:30 AM »
The guys over on The Muzzleloading forum asked me to put this up here (a while ago, my bad I forgot)

I picked up and restored a secondhand rifle
No markings anywhere on the gun or the barrel except the name Richard Augustine which was across the top.
The only other markings are on what we believe is a vintage Maslin lock (I'm not sure).

It was in rough shape when I got it, very grimy, the barrel finish was worn, and the bore was a dusty type dirty, but with no rust or pitting. The inletting was a halfway done sort of job and the brass was a mess
A bit of wood, the thin part by the lock, had broken off in transit.
The overall shape of the stock was thick with fat edges. It lacked that thin elegance and flow that a pretty long rifle has.

What I saw when I looked at it was that the wood underneath all the dirt and grime and ugly shape was beautiful burl and fish eye. I bought it hoping I could find the gun hiding inside that mess.

Broke it down and worked on it with cabinet scrapers to slowly get to the shape I wanted, then went to work with a LOT of larger grit sandpaper.
Repaired the broken bit with tiny dowels made from a toothpick and glue. Came out good, very hard to see.
Polished out all the scratches and discoloration from the brass.
Redid all the inletting.
Sanded the living #### out of it all the way down to 1000 grit, raising the grain multiple times between sandings.
Defarbed and refinished the barrel.
Cleaned and oiled the lock
Finished the stock with about a dozen coats of Tru-Oil (no stain of any kind, just the natural wood)
Gave it a coat of wax, a final polish it on the Baldor, and reassembled it.

Before:

After:

image hosting service
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 09:00:15 AM by Sudsy »

Offline Sudsy

• Starting Member
Re: Rifle restoration project
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 08:57:01 AM »

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 04:01:23 PM »
That cleaned up pretty nice, how does it shoot?
Ed Hamberg

Offline Sudsy

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 06:56:35 PM »
3" at 50 yards from a rest
I still have some load development to do.