Author Topic: Lil' thumper  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Lil' thumper
« on: October 31, 2023, 03:04:38 AM »
Just completed this and hopefully I will take it to the range within a week or so. It's a 45 caliber that I think will be a nice deer thumper, it's got a 32 inch Douglas barrel 15/16's across the flats. The patchbox is one I've used before and is a copy of one that I made a rubbing from years ago. The barrel came from a  table at a gun show, with no breech threads cut and I think I picked it up about 4 years ago, the table holder said it was a Douglas, but I have no proof of that other than what he said. I think I paid 30 bucks for it. The stock was a stick of wood that an old departed friend gave to me. The butplate came from another friend that also passed. It was copied from an original and was sandcast (very rough indeed) and I  managed to secure quite a few of these. The guard is an original and the inlays are my creations. The lock is an L&R back action that I thinned down considerably. The triggers are Davis.

Offline okieboy

Re: Lil' thumper
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 09:00:16 AM »
 I like your rifle. It is good to see a caplock half-stock other than a Hawken. Guns like this (only old and beat-up) were the first muzzleloaders that I encountered, and they still have a place in my heart. The patchbox engraving is also tasteful. Thanks for posting it.
Okieboy

Online okawbow

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 01:59:58 PM »
I like seeing the half stocks also. I grew up playing with an old half stock rifle the family had. My first build was also.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline jbigley

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 04:39:10 PM »
I really like your rifle. You did a FINE job on the build. Percussion halfstocks are great! I killed my first deer --many, many winters past--with a percussion halfstock. I'm interested to hear how it shoots. Just outta curiosity, what is the weight?--JB

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 10:24:27 PM »
I really like your rifle. You did a FINE job on the build. Percussion halfstocks are great! I killed my first deer --many, many winters past--with a percussion halfstock. I'm interested to hear how it shoots. Just outta curiosity, what is the weight?--JB

I'm not sure, it's had a little more heft than the Thin Lizzy rifle (that gun shoots great, got s squirrel with it last weekend)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 11:44:29 PM »
Beautiful rifle in the finest (IMHO) whitetail caliber.  You certainly did a masterful job of building an elegant rifle.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 03:28:23 AM »
Just got home from a visit to Gettysburg. The rifle weighs 7.8 pounds. Not too heavy, or unwieldy, it balances well, hope to shoot it soon

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 05:11:48 AM »
Im very impressed with the smith work - the whole package .
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 05:48:00 AM »
Nice looking halfstock rifle John.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 03:36:00 PM »
Nice looking halfstock rifle John.

Thanks Brian

Offline Paul from KY

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2023, 05:27:24 AM »
Very nice rifle, and the patchbox is very well done, especially the elegant engraving.