Author Topic: Magnets and Guns  (Read 882 times)

Offline wibper

• Starting Member
Magnets and Guns
« on: November 09, 2023, 07:59:07 PM »
Hello, new guy here, recently fell into the black powder muzzleloading rabbit hole, and have no intention to look for the way out.

Reason I'm posting is because I'm building a single-shot muzzleloader pistol loading stand, for which I'm considering using magnets to hold its various parts together, so it can be easily disassembled, transported to the range, and reassembled.  Questions are: any problem with having magnets near to gun metal such as locks, barrels, etc?  I suppose there's some risk of such gun parts getting magnetized?  Will there be an adverse effect on function?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Offline Daryl

Re: Magnets and Guns
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 08:13:36 PM »
Hello wibper, welcome to the forum.
I suspect you will be using rare earth magnets on the stand to get the strength you'll need to hold it together while loading.
You'd not want the lock magnetized, I suspect, at least not the hammer (cock) on a caplock or hammer(frizzen) on a flintlock.
A magnetized lock might not be a good idea at all. Everything must work freely, to function properly.
Others may have more experience in this than I do. I'm just guessing.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 08:22:54 PM »
I do not think magnets are strong enough to be useful.   You want  a stand to be strong and to support the gun such that you do not break the stock when loading  I make my stands out of 1 x 6 maple form the home center.  They are sized so they fit in in my range box.  I see no reason to have them break down for transport.  The example on the left works with revolvers and my modern under hammer single shots.  The hole in the back bottom receives a turned plug that support the pistols.   The holes in the top are for loading rods.  Leather prevents marring the finish.  The parts are secured with dovetails and glue.  I put some AF on the wood and a couple of coats of varnish. 

The right hand one is made of epay deck boards.  It was for a scoped under hammer.  IT is too heavy and doe not fit the range box. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 08:41:58 PM »
Ist, I doubt magnets will have any effect whatsoever on your firearm.
2nd, magnets will not make your loading jig strong enough, and you're going to run into difficulties making it stay together during the loading sequence.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 01:15:05 AM »
You would achieve better results with creative joinery or pins.

Offline wibper

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 04:52:37 PM »
.....The hole in the back bottom receives a turned plug that support the pistols.....
Could you post a pic of one of those plugs?  That sounds interesting.  Main reason for posting this thread is brainstorming ways to accomodate adjustable supports so a single stand can be used with multiple pistols.  Thanks.