Author Topic: Patch Box Guidance  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Bob Rearley

Patch Box Guidance
« on: December 05, 2023, 07:56:36 AM »
Gentlemen,
Over the last couple of years with your guidance and the help of Peter Alexander's book I have been building a copy of a Martin Sheetz gun.  I have finished the patch box inletting and I am now preparing to make the spring and release mechanisms.  I plan to use a hacksaw blade for the spring.  For the push rod I plan to use a common nail and for the catch parts I plan to use part of a pry bar that seems to have some spring in it.  The push rod comes out the toe.  I am certain I should harden the nail but I am told they cannot be hardened.  Do I need to harden the spring and the catch parts?  After seeing the toe on this gun I am surprised anyone would use that type of release.  Of course the toe is broken off.  I hope to send some photos of the butt of this original.  I am sure there are some who have not seen the butt of a gun with the plate removed.
Thanks for your advice, Bob

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Patch Box Guidance
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 07:16:47 PM »
This is a low pressure, low strain, low wear application so I’d worry less about hardening the catch. But it could be case hardened; overkill in my view snd you’d need to leave the post soft enough to perm it into place on the lid. Leave it as is.

The spring issue depends on the length and deflection. If the length is reasonable and the deflection minimal, you’ll not need to make an actual “spring” in the sense of hardening and tempering.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 08:10:00 PM »
Hey Bob:  I commonly use hacksaw blades for patch box springs as long as they are not the longitudinal type.  As to the push rod: I commonly use a brass rod. Yes you can case harden a common nail with a product called " Cherry Red" .  Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 09:35:52 PM »
I use hacksaw blades all the time for the kicker spring on patchboxes.  They are easy to grind to shape, already have a hole for the screw in one end, and heat treat easily.
Grind to shape, heat red to make the appropriate bends, polish bright, heat red, quench in oil, re-polish and temper in the soft flame of a propane torch to even blue.  Here's an example in my T. Allison .25 cal rifle.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 12:25:42 AM »
Don't worry about case hardening the push rod or the catch pin on the lid if your using a nail. It will last forever.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Bob Rearley

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 08:26:14 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for your valued feedback.  May your powder be always dry and your aim always true.
Bob