Author Topic: Henry Rifle musuen/recreated gunshop ?  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Tom Currie

Henry Rifle musuen/recreated gunshop ?
« on: August 17, 2008, 03:48:45 PM »
Guys, I am headed out to the Philly area for a quick family vacation and am trying to remember where the recreated gunshop with the Henry rifles was at ( don't have my MB mags with me ). Can anybody help with info ? Will also be near Lancaster for a bit, ideas on anything worthwhile to stop in and see while I'm there would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Johndf

• Starting Member
Re: Henry Rifle musuen/recreated gunshop ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »
Tom, the Landis Valley Museum is just outside of Lancaster. Their web site lists
a gun exhibit. I haven't been there so I can't make any comments. Their web site
is ;  http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org

John

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 12:35:39 AM »
I believe the gunshop you are refering to is at the Jacobsburg Historical Society. Don't remember all of the particulars, but they have a website you can check out.

Don't go to Landis Valley expecting to see great guns. There used to be a good collection there, but it is gone. There was a thread about it on the old board not too long ago. Some of them ended up at the state museum in Harrisburg, but they are not on display as far as I know. I emailed the museum to find out what you had to do to get access to them, but got no answer.

Weren't you considering relocating to the Philly area, Tom?

Dale H

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »
Wasn't me. Actually my sister lives in Wilmington DE and we are going for a visit. Just trying to mix in a little longrifle something while I'm in the area. My wife likes Lancaster for the Amish thing while I just go there and dream of what it was once like.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 01:52:56 AM »
Right. Maybe it was Tom Curran.

Did you make it to Dixon's for the gunmaker's Fair? If not, his shop is worth a visit even if it isn't the fair.

If you like steam, check out the website for roughand tumble engineers, or something like that, and see if they have anything going in when you will be around. They are on route 30, east of Lancaster. There is also the Strasburg railroad.

Dale H

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 02:26:04 AM »
tom, the gun shop is that of nicholas hawk. it was moved from gildon pa. to the jacobsburg museum
aka. pennsylvania longrifle museum. check the web site. the henry's where the prominate builder in the erea.. i believe the exibits are open only on weekends
or by appointment for schools/etc.
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com