Author Topic: Black Snake Gun  (Read 7235 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

Re: Black Snake Gun
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2022, 02:22:54 PM »
Ian, where did you get your graver bit from?

A friend who was getting out of the business gave me a couple boxes full of assorted tools and there were a few gravers and die sinker chisels in there. I have shaped and reground some of them for special purposes, this one flat and with a wider cutting edge like a cape chisel so you can cut a slot wiithout the shank getting trapped

Offline rsherman

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2022, 02:44:20 PM »
Great work Ian! I love your gun. Thanks for the tutorial on the thimble process. That poor drillbit never saw that coming either!

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2022, 04:45:26 AM »
That poor drillbit never saw that coming either!

Now it knows why all the other drill bits were hiding in the big red box

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2022, 06:13:35 AM »
I bought some die sinkers years ago and can't remember where I got them. I could use a couple more but haven't found any yet.

Offline alacran

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2022, 04:02:17 PM »
Really like your sideplate. Thanks for the tutorial on how to make your pipes. Neat Gun!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2023, 06:48:39 AM »
Nice.

I have a somewhat simpler block and a punch I use to make the ribs on the ends of octagonal pipes.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2023, 07:58:28 AM »
I bought die sinkers chisels about 43 years ago that came from Brownell's...they likely still carry them.  They were the only chisels I had for engraving around the first hundred rifles off my bench.  Then I discovered Glensteel from GRS!  But when it comes to removing lots of stock in a hurry, the die sinkers chisels do the job best.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2023, 04:12:06 PM »
I bought die sinkers chisels about 43 years ago that came from Brownell's...they likely still carry them.  They were the only chisels I had for engraving around the first hundred rifles off my bench.  Then I discovered Glensteel from GRS!  But when it comes to removing lots of stock in a hurry, the die sinkers chisels do the job best.

Hi Taylor,
I am afraid folks will have trouble finding them.  Brownell's no longer carries them and I searched for other sources for a friend and could not find any. I believe the occupation of die sinker is essentially extinct. The closest I could find are jeweler's chasing chisels but they are not the same as those chisels sold by Brownells.  I am really glad I bought my set 40 years. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."