Author Topic: John Twigg Lock Details ?  (Read 6244 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
John Twigg Lock Details ?
« on: December 15, 2009, 04:55:33 AM »
In the 1770s, British gun maker John Twigg made pistols that had innovative and well executed safety / reliability features.  As I am building a pair of pistols in the Twigg style, I am looking specifically for more detailed information on the locks that he built that included a separate pan cover and hammer (frizzen) that were operated by a split feather spring.  The separate pan cover would hold the prime in place even with the cock lowered and the hammer back.  To fire the pistol, the cock was brought back to full cock and the hammer flipped closed.  The hammer then latched to the pan cover and the pistol fired in the usual way.  As noted in the book "Great British Gunmakers 1740-1790, The History of John Twigg and the Packington Guns", the hammer could be latched or unlatched from the pan cover by the use of a "spring stud situated on the back of the steel".  However, the few photos and the text do not go into any more detail about how the connection between the pan cover and the hammer were accomplished.  Does anyone out there have any pictures or details on how Twigg did this?  I would like to build the locks as accurately as possible and not just make up my own method of accomplishing this lock feature.  Twigg also built locks with a safety latch than not only locked the cock in position but also locked the frizzen closed onto the pan by means of a "pin".  Any photos or details about that feature would be appreciated as well.  Thanks.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: John Twigg Lock Details ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:56:13 PM »
Love to help you out but I have never had one of those in hand. :(
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »
Seems to me I saw pics of a comtemporary version but I'm not sure where. Contemporary Maker's blog maybe. Jack Haugh maybe. Hopefully someone else with a better memory can help.

Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:42:37 PM »
Geeze, Dave, sorry, I can't help you. Maybe Leprechaun would know, or Jim Westberg, Jerry Huddleston.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 05:50:35 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, Jack Haugh made a lock like this quite a few years ago.  I think Mel Hankla had it included in his display on Jack a few years ago at the CLA.  There may be a picture of it in the article Mel has on Jack at Mel's website (www.americanhistoricservices.com).  You may also want to get in contact with Jack directly.  From what I remember, this was a fantastic piece of work by Jack.  I think he told me that he had wanted to build a lock like this for quite some time so he worked on it a little each evening after the standard gun work was completed.  Don't think it was ever used on a gun either. 

keweenaw

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 06:21:24 PM »
Dave,

If you've seen the photos in Great British Gunmakers, the mechanism is pretty simple.  There is a spring loaded latch bar inside the frizzen that has a stud at right angles to the top that exits near the top front of the frizzen.  The latch bar pivots on a pin about the center of the frizzen and exits at the bottom with a hook on it that engages the corresponding surface of the pan cover.   As far as I can tell you to make this you build the frizzen with the face open to do the requisite machine work inside and then apply the hardened sole to close it up.  That seems a lot easier than trying to work up through a hole in the bottom of the frizzen to insert the pivot latch and its spring.  Making one from scratch would seem to be about a two day job.

Tom

Offline LynnC

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:32:19 PM »
Jerry W H posted quite a bit on this very subject on both the old and new boards.  Searching for Jerry and the safety details should yeild the info.  Or you might track Jerry down on another board  ::)....................................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 03:52:23 AM »
Lewis Drake's website had, and maybe still does, a pivot barrel antique rifle with one of these locks pictured.  Might look on there. 

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »
Look at today's Contemporary Maker's Blog entry for Jack Haugh. There is a picure of the Twigg lock with the safety frizzen that he made.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 02:41:22 AM »
Thanks to all.  Robert, thanks for the tip on the Contemporary Blog.  What a coincidence that the information on Mr. Haugh was posted today!  I call that serendipity.  (By the way, my favorite definition of serendipity is ...while looking for a needle in a hay stack, you find a farmer's daughter.)

Thanks again.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780